The Truth

Elizabeth

The next morning, an announcement over the intercom system tells everyone to gather in the Pit. I don't find it surprising that Eric isn't in bed when I wake up, and I melt into the crowd of people heading to the Pit after leaving the room we share. I find that everyone is lining up in the Pit, and I get directed toward Eric and Max. They stand together with their arms crossed over their chests, and Eric focuses on me the instant I break away from the others.

"What's going on?" I ask.

"Just a precautionary micro-chip implant. It's mandatory for all ordinary Dauntless members." He explains.

"Why is that?"

"We've been having trouble with a few people leaving the compound without asking."

"And you don't suspect me as one of the people leaving?"

"You're always with me." Eric shrugs. "And leaders aren't required to get one."

"So you actually consider me a leader now?" I huff. "If I am a leader, why can't I know what's in those cases?"

"You do." Max motions to the people in line. "It was only the micro-chips."

"That's bullshit. If it was just a tracking chip, you would've told me." I hiss. "What are the implants really for?"

Eric glares at me, and I know it's because I won't drop the subject. It takes only one second for him to take a step forward and roughly grab my wrist, and I let out a pained hiss as he drags me away from the Pit. We end up in an empty hallway, and he traps me against the wall by placing his hands at my sides, making it nearly impossible to get away unless I outmatch his speed.

"Why can't you just let it go?" He growls.

"Because I want to know what's going on." I reply. "I hate not knowing. Secrets aren't a thing in Candor, and it's different to not know everything that's happening."

"If you really needed to know, I'd tell you." He sighs. "I'm keeping the truth from you to protect you, Elizabeth."

I huff, and he moves his hands to my sides. I hesitate before I stand on the tips of my toes to wrap my arms around his neck. Eric's eyes are partially closed, and there's a dark emotion in them that I don't recognize.

"It's so much easier to not have you know." He whispers. "You'd be so disappointed."

"Tell me." I plead.

He growls under his breath, and I am surprised when he holds his forehead to my shoulder. I do my best to comfort him as his body trembles, running my hand up and down his back and using the other to gently rub his neck.

"It wasn't my idea." He whispers.

"What wasn't?" I mutter.

He shakes his head, and his arm locks around me as he places his other hand against the wall. I can hear his nails scrape against the cement wall as he slowly balls his hand into a fist.

"Eric?" I whisper.

He lifts his head and looks at me. He isn't crying, but there's so much emotion in his eyes that he should be.

"Jeanine wants to weed out the Divergent. Kill them all if they aren't able to do whatever it is she wants. We're supposed to eradicate Abnegation first." He mumbles.

"What?" I feel my stomach churn and my heart drop. "We're supposed to kill people?"

"Yes. The implants are supposed to control everyone. Whoever is Divergent will resist the affects and won't be controlled. I persuaded Max into making you leader so I wouldn't have to know if you're Divergent or not."

"I'm not." I reassure him, making him look at me. "My test came back with Candor and Dauntless as results."

"You're not lying?"

"You're speaking to someone who's from Candor. It's physically impossible for me to lie. I haven't been Dauntless long enough to break the habit."

He takes a heavy sigh of relief, and both of his arms lock around me. I pull him down for a kiss, and it's slow and sweet. He breaks the kiss to stare at me.

"I don't want you on the front lines with me." He mutters. "I want you somewhere safe. Erudite would be the best place."

"No, Eric." I argue. "The best place for me is by your side. I don't want to be stuck in a place I don't know."

He repeatedly shakes his head, and I make him kiss me again. He is stubborn with his choices, something I learned over the time being with him, but he is also careful about the decisions he makes concerning me. I silently plead with him when I break the kiss, and I can see his firm and stubborn walls breaking the longer he looks at me.

"Fine. You can be out there, but you have to stay right beside me." He growls. "The second you leave my sight, I will go after you and find you."

I nod. "I understand."

"Are you sure you can handle going through and seeing what's going to happen?"

"If it's something you think will benefit us and our future, I will."

He holds his forehead to mine, and I listen to his calm breathing.

~

I spend the rest of the day acting as if everything is normal, doing my best not to answer any questions correctly when I am asked about what the implants are for. It takes everything in me to lie, and it feels wrong to do it. Once it is time to sleep, I very quickly retreat to the small apartment I share with Eric. He's already inside, shirtless and his back to me. I am always left in awe at the intricate inking on his skin. The black ink on his neck barely crawls past his shoulders, and both of his arms are decorated with ink.

"What happened?" I whisper as I walk up to him, touching the very purple bruise on his side.

He flinches at the gentle touch. "Just had a small fight with another member who didn't take no as an answer for something. It happened a few days ago."

"Where was I during this fight?"

"You were busy preparing for the Fear Landscape I believe."

I hum as I wrap my arms around him, and his body relaxes at my embrace. I look up at him when he swiftly turns and hugs me.

"It's happening tonight." He mutters. "The plan will start at midnight."

"That's six hours from now." I state.

He hums as he nods, and he very slightly bends down to lift me up off of the floor. He makes me wrap my legs around his waist, and he growls as he kisses me. I giggle as he sits down, and I move so I'm straddling him rather than having my legs around his waist.

"We've got six hours to waste before everything changes." He mumbles.

"One hour." I correct him. "I'd like at least five hours to sleep."

He chuckles. "Then I guess we should get to wasting that one hour."