Whistle While You Work

After a few minutes of walking, the company came to a stop. A few squirrels pulled on a few smaller trees to show Snow White, the cows, horse, and rabbit a pathway that led to a nice little cottage that was centered between a few trees across a tiny brook with a bridge. Rays of sunlight could be seen from the trees. Everyone awed at the sight.

"A cottage," Mrs. Calloway said.

"How lovely. It reminds me of our barn back home," Grace said.

"Oh, its adorable. Just like a doll's house," Snow White said.

"At least it's much bigger than a doll's house, or we wouldn't be able to fit in," Maggie said.

Grace giggled at that. Snow White took the first step to run towards the cottage while the rest followed. Taking the bridge was no problem, even if the brook wasn't that broad. They could easily jump over it if they wanted to. The other forest animals followed them. The tortoise walked very slowly, trying to keep up. But Buck seemed to help the little guy since it reminded him of Rusty back home.

"Come along, little buddy. Try to keep up," Buck said.

When they all approached the cottage, they admired it, especially Snow White.

"I like it here," Snow White said.

Then she went towards a tiny window and cleaned the dust to look what was inside. Lucky Jack and a raccoon did the same thing.

"Ew, the window is dirty. It's like it hasn't been cleaned for days," Lucky Jack said.

"Ooh, and it's dark inside," Snow White said.

"Um... I'm not really comfortable with that," Grace said.

"It's okay, Grace. It looks empty," Maggie said.

"Maybe we should knock on the door for sure," Mrs. Calloway said.

"All right, then," Snow White said.

Snow White walked towards the door and made sure her hair was right. She knocked a few times on the door, but there was no response. She tried again, but still no response.

"Guess there's no one home," she said.

"That's just great. What now?" Buck said.

Lucky Jack approached the door, too, and pushed against the door, which opened a little. "Hey, it isn't closed."

"Really? Who doesn't close the door when he or she leaves? That's totally not safe," Mrs. Calloway said with a raised eyebrow.

"Maybe that person just forgot," Maggie said.

"Let's go check inside," Grace said.

Snow White slowly opened the door while it creaked. She looked inside and said, "Hello? May we come in?" But no one gave a response. The cows, horse, rabbit, and forest animals went inside before Snow White motioned them to be quiet. Silently, they walked inside the cottage and looked around. The tortoise was moving slower than usual. The cows, horse, rabbit, forest animals, and human girl still looked around.

"I wonder who lives here," Maggie wondered.

"I hope someone nice and fun," Grace said.

Suddenly, Snow White yelled 'Oh' with her hands raised in the air. It scared the forest animals, Lucky Jack, and Grace that they ran back outside while Maggie and the others stood in a defensive stance. Snow White remained in that position before she sat down on a little chair with an owl carved on it. "What a cute little chair!" she said with a smile.

The animals' eyes went wide by that. "A chair?! Seriously?! We thought it was a monster of some kind," Buck said.

"Oops. Sorry I frightened you," Snow White said with a blush.