Arrival of the Dwarfs

Nobody knew that the tortoise was still climbing in his own way up the stairs. He almost reached the top. Suddenly, some of the forest animals began to wake up. Also, Buck opened an eye, because they heard something. It sounded like... Singing?

"Heigh-ho. Heigh-ho," the singing continued.

"Maggie. Would you tell Grace to stop that singing and let us sleep?" Buck whispered.

Maggie, who was also awake, said, "Nobody's singing, I swear."

"Wait a second. If it isn't Grace, then who...?"

The singing got a little louder, and soon, the rest of the forest animals and newcomers woke up, except Snow White and Grace, who were sleeping like roses.

"Heigh-ho! Heigh-ho!" the singing continued.

"What's going on?" Mrs. Calloway asked.

"Heigh-ho, Heigh-ho. It's home from work we go."

The forest animals looked outside the window, and suddenly, they ran out of the room to the stairs.

"Hey, wait! What's going on?" Lucky Jack asked.

"And who's singing that amazing song?" Maggie asked.

"Come on! Let's follow them," Buck said.

The cows, horse, and rabbit followed the forest animals while the singing continued.

"Heigh-ho, Heigh-ho! Heigh-ho, Heigh-ho, Heigh-ho. It's home from work we go!"

When the tortoise finally reached the top, the other forest animals and newcomers ran downstairs while passing the tortoise, who was spinning in his shell. Now he had to go downstairs again, but that was no problem for him. Even when he fell on the staircase and bumped against the wall. The forest animals were running out of the door.

"Wait for us!" Maggie said.

The forest animals were hiding in a large bush while the cows, horse, and rabbit did, too. "Can somebody tell me what in tarnation is going on?!" Lucky Jack asked.

"Shhh," Maggie said. "Someone's coming."

"Who?" Mrs. Calloway asked. "Who would interrupt my beauty sleep?"

And suddenly, they saw who sang that song. The seven individuals who lived in the cottage. What they didn't expect was that these people weren't children, after all. They were known as 'dwarfs'. Seven dwarfs. All brothers to each other. Many of them looked funny, they wore similar clothing, but each in a different way and they all wore stocking caps. All of them had a beard, except the last one. The animals were totally surprised.

"Are those the ones who live in that cottage? They don't look like children at all," Mrs. Calloway said.

"Of course not. I mean, what child has a beard?" Buck said.

Maggie giggled a little. "They look a little funny."

"Shh. Don't let them hear you. We don't know what they're capable of," Mrs. Calloway said.

The dwarfs kept on singing and whistling until the first one pointed. "Look!" And as a result, the other ones bumped against each other. Maggie couldn't help but giggle, but Mrs. Calloway kept her shut.

"Our house! The lit's light... Uh, the light's lit," said the first one with the glasses.

When Mrs. Calloway heard that, she covered her mouth. "Oh, no. The lights. We forgot to turn them off," she said.

The dwarfs were hiding behind a few trees and each of them popped their heads out to look at their house. "Jiminy Crickets!" they all said.

"The door is open," said the one with the glasses.