INTRODUCTORY···

Smoke swirled around their feet, attaching to their bodies as their own limbs did. They were half dead, dying from suffocation. But they were together and that's all that mattered. That they had each other.

They had been through this scenario millions of times but neither of them thought it would end like this. Maybe one of them had, the one who had seen death and had come back. One would have to die. One of their souls would have to be sacrificed, fed to the demons of the waterfall.

But then she jumped. Both of them watched as their dear friend gave her soul instead. She died too, her power flowing through both of her best friends, given to them because she cared for their well-being and their safety. One felt even more death, unable to keep his insides contained as he puked his guts out.

The other became the figment of fire. As she cried on her friend's body, her tears evaporated as the scent of boiling blood and burnt human flesh lofted through the air. The boy vomited some more. He was not made for the gore he would have to endure, his skin changing color as he was unable to contain himself and his emotions.

It was a horror and would always be in the Hordeylon line, passed through generation to generation, switched from family to family by birth until the surnames no longer matched up. They both knew they were the start and they were the end.

It would start with death and end in fire or start with fire and end in death. 

···