···Delfie Caramon

Bastendin 19, 40318 BW···

My parents walked in. Their faces were grave but their jaws dropped open when they saw me standing in the middle of the cabin. The bag of tanala herb in my mala's hand fell to the floor when she ran over to me. I was attacked with kisses and hugs. I wanted so desperately to get away.

It was weird to think about but all I wanted were hugs from Minka, not my parents.

Anyway, we trapped him under our cabin in the little tunnel that we used as a bunker. I felt horrible about it, but it was the smartest thing my gama had done all day. Minka was safe, hopefully, and as far as I knew my parents had no idea it existed. As I said, hopefully.

It sounds wrong, but I tore away from my family. I felt suffocated and my gag reflex started acting up. I put a hand to my throat and swallowed, turning back to parents' smiling faces. Rolling my eyes, I asked sarcastically, "Are you trying to kill me?"

The remark didn't seem to sit well with my pala. His face turned sour. "Don't talk to me that way, young lady! You almost died and I've had enough of this recklessness. Don't ask me about killing you. My heart has been broken more than once. It doesn't need to be broken again.

I took a step back. I didn't know what to say. My hands shook and so did my voice. "I... I'm sorry. I don't do it again... Promise."

With those simple words, Pala Fenrick seemed satisfied. My mala scurried to grab the bag he had dropped and ran over to me. "Here she said. Take some. Maybe you won't feel so... hostile."

I wanted to growl at her words. Snap even, with a little bite to top it all off, but I didn't. I calmed myself and took the bag. A little bite wouldn't hurt me, would it?

"When did you wake up?" Mala Della asked. "Gama was there for you, right?"

I nodded, my mind automatically drifting to Minka. I only imagined him unconscious on the couch. He was the one who really needed the tanala herb even though I knew he would refuse. I didn't know him well but it seemed like something he would refuse.

"Oh, yes!" I exclaimed when I saw Mala still staring at me, still looking for a worded answer. "She was very helpful." I took a quick glance down at the trap door. We had just enough time to cover it back with the rug. Somehow, my parents still hadn't noticed the table was askew. I wondered if they'd ever notice.

Mala Della smiled warmly and rubbed my shoulders, squeezing me into another hug. "Good, good. Mind if your pala and I take a nap? We've been awake for hours searching for you and you're safe now."

I nodded again. "Of course. I'll just... stay here."

"No leaving," my pala grunted. "Deity..." he said, his voice warning.

Gama smiled deviously when his back was turned. "Of course. She's in good hands."

I glanced back at Gama Deity and mouthed, "What do we do with him?" I pointed down to the trap door.

Gama Deity shrugged. Then she mouthed, "He'll find way out. Told him to follow tunnel."

I clenched my jaw. I knew where that tunnel led out too. When my parents were fast asleep I would find Minka.