Twenty-nine. Theo to the Rescue

"Dylan!" 

Both Lin and Dylan followed the direction of the voice coming from the bottom of the bleachers. "Who's that?" Lin asked while Dylan did a double-take. 

"Um, that's my friend." Someone whom Dylan wasn't expecting to see so soon. Theo had texted him just two minutes ago and yet here he was, walking up to Lin and Dylan, dressed in all Gucci: tracksuit, sneakers, and a fanny pack. 

"I didn't know Halloween was today," Dylan heard Lin mutter to herself while she eyed Theo's fashion taste.  

"You're lucky he can't hear you," Dylan said casually, startling Lin for the second time today. He ignored her reaction and grinned up at Theo who had just reached them. Dylan stuck out his hand and bumped fists with his sorcerer best friend. "What are you doing here, man?" Dylan hoped his voice didn't sound as nervous as he felt. 

Theo posed confidently. "Showing off our school's colours!" 

Dylan tentatively glanced over at Lin. He was used to Theo's flamboyance, but for someone who was meeting Theo for the first time, Theo's character can come as a shock. Lin's face, however, remained neutral, lacking the previous glare she was giving Dylan. 

"Brampton is playing here too?" Lin asked. Dylan could've sworn he heard some disappointment in the human's tone. What wasn't new?

Theo gave Lin a big smile. "Yup! And who might you be?" 

"Who's asking?" Lin asked cautiously. 

Dylan turned his face away from Lin so she couldn't see his annoyed expression. Her uptight attitude was getting old and the day wasn't even half-over. 

Theo blinked before he burst out laughing. "Listen, I know my outfits are top-notch, but you don't gotta worry about me. I'm not affiliated with any gangs. I'm Theo, Dylan's best friend." 

Dylan was pretty sure that gang affiliation was not one of the top ten things that crossed Lin's mind when she first saw Theo, but now who knows what she considered after Theo's random declaration. Thanks to Theo, Dylan was on edge, awaiting Lin's reaction. Initially, she stared blankly at Theo and studied him from head to toe. Then her expression hardened. "You're the host of the party I've been hearing so much about?" 

Theo didn't even hesitate, oblivious to Lin's scrutinizing gaze. "The one and only! You coming?" 

"You don't even know me," Lin pointed out.

Dylan's eyes widened by a fraction and he immediately gave Theo a warning look, concealed from Lin's view. Lin was technically correct. She didn't introduce herself to the sorcerer yet and here Theo was, openly inviting her to his party as if he knew her. Which he obviously did, but Dylan didn't want Lin to know that. Suddenly, Theo's supposed help was slowly turning to a death sentence for Dylan. 

"Yo, any friend of Dylan's is a friend of mine!" Theo exclaimed and sat himself in between Lin and Dylan. 

"We're not friends," Lin clarified. Finally, there was something Dylan could agree with Lin on. 

Theo's upbeat mood never wavered. "Man, that's cold."

Dylan saw an opening. "Theo, meet Emily's best friend, Lin." 

Theo perked up. "So you're the infamous Lin who's giving my boi a hard time!" 

Dylan whipped his head so fast at Theo, he almost induced himself with whiplash. Dylan couldn't believe Theo's nerve. He was utterly mortified. What on earth was Theo thinking?! He has introduced Theo to Lin for the sole purpose of making it seem as though Theo was learning about Lin for the first time today and now that plan went out the window with Theo's bold statement.