A love that was really something, not just the idea of something

Note: The title of this chapter is from Taylor Swift's poem, "Why She Disappeared".

He couldn't fucking wait to see her. He'd never craved a person like this before. It had been over a week since they had been able to see each other. She had been traveling to different gigs, and he hadn't been able to get away from work long enough to come along for any of them. The distance had been workable thus far, but as they got more serious, it became more challenging. He wanted her there all the time.

The things I'm going to do to her , he thought with a shudder.

His family was taking a holiday together, and his mother had suggested that MC come along. A meaningful gesture on her part. They had rented out a beach house for 4 days. MC was thrilled to be included, so carved out some time, which resulted in a packed schedule both before and after the trip. Noah couldn't wait to get 4 uninterrupted days with her. He wouldn't have normally chosen a trip with his mom and siblings for their first holiday together, but he'd take any opportunity he got.

His heart quickened when he saw her text that she was pulling up. He came outside to greet her. His breath hitched when he saw her pull up. Her music was blaring, her hair pulled up wildly on top of her head, sunglasses obscuring her face. He couldn't help but smile goofily at her, giddy with anticipation. He wrapped her in his arms and squeezed her tight before she could even close the car door.

"I missed you so much," she said, her voice a little thick. She sniffled.

" So much" he agreed. "Everything okay?"

"Yes! I'm such a melt. I'm just so excited to see you! I guess I feel a little overwhelmed."

He pulled her close again, and gave her a flurry of little kisses all over her face, trying to make her smile, but feeling similarly overwhelmed by the need to drink her in. She snorted with laughter, and they stood there holding each other for a little while longer, sighing happily.

"We've got 4 whole days to enjoy each other!" he beamed.

"So needed! Should we head inside? Is your family here already?"

They went inside and MC greeted Karen, Anna, and Simon with enthusiastic hugs. They chatted a bit before Karen said, "Noah, help MC with her bags. You can put them in the same room with Anna. And you'll be staying with Simon."

Noah stared, open-mouthed at her. "Er, what?"

"You and Simon will be sharing a room. Anna and MC will be sharing a room."

"I thought...I mean, really? I'm 26 years old."

"Noah," she said decisively, "I've seen the show and I know what kind of shenanigans you get up to unsupervised. And I'm not ready to be a nan yet." She gave Noah a pointed look. Blessedly, she did not look at MC, who was blushing furiously. "Now, if you were engaged, then that would be another story."

"MUM!" Anna and Simon shouted in unison, horrified.

"I'm just making my policies clear!" Karen said, smiling, throwing up her hands. "Now, go! Help MC!"

Noah shook his head as he grabbed her bags and walked away. When they got to Anna's room, MC turned to him. "I'm going to go crawl in a hole and die now, ok?"

"I'm so sorry that was so awkward. I hadn't realized she would make us sleep in separate rooms, although, knowing her, I should have seen it coming. You're the only girl I've ever had come along with me for a family holiday."

"Oh well that's sweet," she said, looking up at Noah through her eyelashes and stepping closer. She hooked her fingers through the front two belt loops on his pants and tugged him closer.