I loved you so. I loved you, so what?

Note: The title of this chapter is from "So What" by Ani Difranco. The song MC sings in this chapter is "On a Good Day" by Joanna Newsom.

MC basked in the quiet of her childhood home, her family's springer spaniel, Maude, snoring gently at her side. She had driven several hours north the night before to visit her parents. There was nothing quite like the calm she could find within the walls that framed her every childhood memory. It took her back to a time when there were no expectations of her, except to be happy and kind. She couldn't wait for Noah to get there the next day. All the versions of her happy place coming together. It would be the first time he'd met them. She smiled to herself, imagining how Noah and her father would bond over books, and her mom would try and feed him every item she could find in the refrigerator.

The plan was to tell her parents together. They had gone to a few places to look at rings, but hadn't found the right one yet. Not that the ring itself was all that important to her. She'd told Noah that she didn't want a diamond, principally against the exploitative industry. So they had poured over cases of emeralds, sapphires, moissanite, and opals. The colorful stones were gorgeous, but she worried they'd interfere with her playing, and she wanted a ring she could wear all the time. Something she never had to take off.

She would have been completely content, if not for the text message she had received last night.

"Hey lass! I've been doing a little cleaning, and found some of your things. I'd like to find a way to get these to you."

She didn't know what to make of it. Was he moving in with June? Why after all this time would he feel the need to give her the ol' break up box. She thought about June occupying the space where she had loved Bobby. The pain was palpable, sure, but dulled. A punch instead of a stab.

She had replied, "Thanks! I'm traveling right now, on the way to my parents' house. Let me get back to you after the trip and we'll figure something out."

She'd sent it late last night, and she hadn't heard back. She moved to the piano and began mindlessly plunking out notes. They were meandering at first, but evolved into a sad little tune. She began singing along.

So 'cross the years

and miles, and through

on a good day,

you can feel my love for you.

Will you leave me be,

so that we can stay true

to the path that you have chosen?

The doorbell rang. She walked down the hall, Maude bobbing at her heels, and opened the door. Despite the fact that he had just been roaming through her mind, she couldn't process the sight of him. His face was radiant, as usual, highlighted by a gorgeous smile, his amber eyes twinkling happily. He had a cardboard box in his hands. "Surprised to see me?"

Through her shock, she noticed that the sight of him didn't smack so rawly against her heart anymore. She actually felt a little happy to see him. Given a bit of distance, some healing, and the comfort of a new, blossoming love, she could appreciate the bright glow of Bobby again, at least a little bit.

"Yes!" she laughed. "What are you doing here?"

"Well, when you said you were at your parents' house, I figured it was a good opportunity to drop these off" He shook the box a little. "They're so much closer to Glasgow than your place." Bobby knew he should have texted her first, to ask if he could come. But he couldn't face the possibility that she would say no. He just had to see her, somehow. So he'd hopped in his car, and driven the two hours to her parents' home.