Chapter 15

[ Caleb ]

I watch Alyys staring at the tv. Somehow she found this program that she thinks is amazing. Something with an American vet and his life, I have no idea what it is about. I can't really focus on anything else but her.

She had decided to take place next to me on the bed while we wait for a second bed where she can sleep tonight. She also insisted on me giving one of her hoodies so she has something to sleep in. It is way too big but god she looks cute in it.

Maybe I need to make a small move. This is probably the worst thing that I have ever done but I can't think of anything else. I fake yawn and stretch my arms, putting one around her shoulders. I am so embarrassed. I guess Alyys can see the fun in it because she starts to giggle softly and her cheeks turn red a little.

"That's, cute."
She looks up at me and starts to laugh a little too.
"Shut up Caleb, don't lie."
"I'm not lying, I mean it."

She mumbles something about Justin and this not being a smart idea. Maybe I should keep my mouth shut. I want to tell her so much, how she looks so hot right now and in that one dress. How cute she is, her laugh and smile. But I can't, because Justin will absolutely kill me.

Maybe I should tell her about this. About this not being an accident. That her boyfriend did this to me because he hates me. I kissed his girlfriend and he stabbed me, doesn't sound very fair to me. Maybe she will start to hate him, or at least she doesn't want to go back home to him.

Then I can help her, right? I decide to stay still for an hour or two more. Alyys has bought some chips from the vending machine in the hall and is eating them while still watching that talk show.

This is taking too long. I need to tell her about this all. It's creeping inside my head and making up all kinds of scenarios where she gets mad at me for not telling her or Justin gets mad at me again for telling. But I can't keep this from her, it's too bad.

"Can I tell you something?"
"Sure, what is it?"
"You need to promise me that it stays between us."
She nods her head and turns around to me.

I tell her everything, from the argument to the point where he stabbed me. She doesn't interrupt me once but I can see that she is trying to get this to make sense.

"So, Justin stabbed you? And it wasn't an accident?"
"Yes. And no."
Alyys gives me a nervous laugh and shakes her head.
"Don't get me wrong, Caleb. But I think your head is making up stuff..."

I can hear that she isn't sure about what she is saying. It is almost like she is telling herself instead of me.
"You just had a lot of painkillers and now you are making up stuff."

She is kidding, right? I know what I'm saying and I know it's true. She just doesn't want to believe that Justin could do something like that. She is blinded by love.

"You think I'm lying? I had a screwdriver stabbed inside of me, Alyys! I know who did this!"
"You are imagining stuff, Caleb." she stands up and puts the bag away.
"Oh yes, of course, I imaged your boyfriend stabbing me because that's my biggest wish! He did this to me Alyys, why can't you just believe me?"
"Because I know he didn't!"

She is so in love she can't even see the bad from the good anymore. How can she not believe me? Does she really love him that much, that what I say doesn't matter anymore? That she just let it slip right past her, acting like it isn't even there? And she's the one who is telling me I'm imagining stuff, while she is the one imaging a person being perfect while actually being an asshole.

"Well, then how do you know?"
She bites her lip and looks away from me. She is nervously picking her nails while watching the sun go down.

"Because," she starts after a long, silent break. "Because he isn't that person. He would never harm you over this, stupid kiss thing. He is too sweet and kind to harm anyone!"
"Everybody can change, Justin is the living proof of that!"

She turns around toward me, her eyes filled with anger.
"What are you even trying to prove?!"
That Justin is an asshole who doesn't deserve you.

"That Justin isn't the person that you think he is!"
"So what the hell do you want now?!"
You. I want you.

"That you maybe consider Justin not being the perfect boyfriend for you!"
"Oh, so you say someone else is? Who? you?"
That one I didn't think of.

My head is desperately trying to make up a good answer but all that comes out of my mouth is some stupid mumbling.

"Never, forget it."
She stands up and walks to her bed. She still looks angry when she sits down. I know I can't eat this yet, but that doesn't mean I can't use it for anything else right?

Alyys isn't paying any attention which is great. I grab a chip and throw it at her, right on her head. She softly screams and looks up, trying to hold back her laugh.

"So now you think you are funny?"
I ignore her and throw one after the other. She starts to chuckle and throws back the broken chips.

"Wait! This isn't fair!" She laughs and holds her pillow before her head.
"Well if you want some too, you need to come and get them." I grin and keep throwing at her. Carefully she stands up, still holding her pillow. She looks around for a second before she takes a sprint to my bed.

She jumps on the bed and tries to grab the bag. I can't really move so the only thing I can do is to keep it to the side with my good arm. Which of course doesn't hold her back very long.

Eventually, she is hanging over me to grab the bag. We both can't stop laughing and to be honest, I am kind of scared that she might fall onto me.

"Please, watch out before you fall." She looks up and starts to laugh again.
"Oh my god, that would be the worst thing ever, wait." She tries to get back up and sit down beside me, but her hand slips away and she falls. Gladly not onto my stomach, but she hits me pretty hard in the chest.
"Auch..."

"Caleb I am so sorry, oh my god." Alyys looks up at me, kind of scared and she keeps asking me if I am ok. I tell her about a hundred times that I'm ok before she believes me. I move her arm a little so she doesn't hurt me anymore, and so she can lay like this for a little longer. Her arm rests on my pillow and she actually is very, very close. I can see the little laughing marks besides her mouth and eyes. The little freckles who run over her nose and cheeks.

My mind is making up all kinds of things that I can't think about. She had a boyfriend, stop it. But I can't help myself. She is too close for me not to give in to this feeling. I look at her and it almost looks like she knows what I am about to do.

The moment I push my lips against hers I remember why I can't resist this feeling. She gives in and follows my lead for a few seconds but then she's pulling back faster then I wish. I answer her action with an irritated groan, wanting to kiss her again.

"We can't... I can't, you know that." Alyys shakes her head and looks away, letting go of the bed and standing up. She walks back to her bed and lays down. I sigh and look at the ceiling. Yes, we can't do this. But she wouldn't give in if she didn't want this.

"I know." It stays silent for a few more minutes. It is an uncomfortable silence.
"Goodnight, Caleb." I look over at her, only seeing her silhouette. "Goodnight, Alyys."