Meeting the missus

Poppy riffled through her closet the following morning for something to wear. Nervous about meeting her husband for the first time sober. Finally settling for something to wear she set about getting ready.

It was decided last night that they would meet at a cafe just outside the town he lived so they wouldn't be seen

It was decided last night that they would meet at a cafe just outside the town he lived so they wouldn't be seen. They had talked late into the night about random little things  trying to get to know each other. At least he seemed nice.

She ran a brush through her hair before double checking herself in the mirror. Her hair was down in its natural waves and she hand chosen to wear contacts instead of her glasses. She fixed her necklace before grabbing her car keys and leaving to meet her husband for the second time. Nervously taking a deep breath before starting the half hour drive.

Strange to think that he was only that far away the whole time.

Poppy kept thinking up various scenarios in which this could go. He could not show up. Or they could argue and hate each other. There was no way to be sure. But as soon as this mess was cleared up then she could go back to her normal life in her factory.

Then they could just forget any of this ever happened.

************************************

He watched her through the window.

She was even more stunning in person. He parked the glass elevator behind the building so nobody would see it. As soon as he landed his eyes were glued to the window to see if she came. Relief washed over him as soon as he saw her at the back left corner of the cafe looking around anxiously. It only occurred to him then that she didn't know what he looked like. He forgot that he had her picture yet she had none of him.

She looked just as nervous as he felt. He took a deep breath before opening the door. Wonka walked towards her slowly.

"Hello"

"Hi" she answered awkwardly. Quickly offering him  the seat across from her which he took immediately.

They both sat quietly for a minute. Not able to look the other in the eyes. You could cut the tension with a knife.

Poppy smirked slightly , covering it with her hand before breaking into a full blown laugh. Surprising them both.

"I thought I was better at talking in person but this is just ridiculous" poppy giggled  making him smile across from her.

"At least I didn't say starshine this time" wonka joked causing them both to laugh even more. The pair laughing like maniacs in the corner.

"Can't be as bad as running out of a strangers hotel room in a wedding dress" poppy sighed with a smile.

"At least you noticed first thing. I had to wait until I went to wash my hair" Wonka joked.

"I'm so not going back to Vegas anytime soon. I only went for the weekend" poppy groaned into her hands. "Well we can probably get this annulled quietly".

" about that.........maybe we should hold off on that" willy chuckled nervously. Twisting his cane on the floor. Too nervous to look at her. His head snapped back up as soon as he heard poppy get up from the table and fast walk to the door.

She was so in shock she felt like she couldn't breath. Just wanting to leave. He had to be crazy to want to stay married to someone he doesn't even know.

"Wait" wonka pleaded following her outside. Trying to keep up with the blonde." Wait please , give me five minutes to explain ".

" are you crazy" poppy asked stopping to spin around and look at him. "Because that's the only reason I can think of as to why you want to stay married to a stranger" poppy asked baffled. Looking at him and waiting for an answer.

"Do you want to know why we got married?"

"Alcohol" poppy answered as if it were obvious.

"But why me" wonka said struggling for words. "Don't you want to know why out of all the things or people in Vegas , we got married".

" I've never even though about getting married" poppy explained taking a step closer to him. Finally hearing him out.

"Neither have  I but I may never get married again. At least give it a try then if it doesn't work then we tried" he begged.

"I can't j-"

"Three months" wonka asked hopefully. Trying to compromise with her. "Please just try getting to know each other for three months. If you don't like it after then I'll sign whatever you want".

Poppy stood in front of him thinking it over. She has a busy life and like him would never get married again.   "fine" poppy sighed, making him smile. "Three months".

" three months " wonka repeated.

"So do I call you?" Poppy asked moving to walk next to him. "Swap numbers"

"Gladly"

"So do you wanna get coffee" she asked him. "Start small?"

After two hours of getting to know more about each other the newlyweds went their separate ways after exchanging numbers. Both agreeing to call the other during the week.

Mr wonka walked into the inventing room smiling.

For the first time in weeks he had an idea.