little miss perfect

Enjoy!! Comment suggestions PLEASE like I highkey need them.

I cross my arms around myself, walking faster as the cold wind cuts through me like a knife. It's starting to lightly drizzle and I jog to my car to avoid getting myself wet.

Clay is already in the passenger seat, and I hear him singing quietly to himself as he taps furiously at a game on his phone. He has a habit of humming or singing whenever he is bored, and I had found it annoying at first, but I come to love it as he flushes red with embarrassment.

"So where we going for lunch?" I say, pretending not to notice his singing as I slide into my cars driver seat.

He looks up at me hopefully. "Chipotle?"

"Nope. We're going to Rosie's Diner," I declare and put the car into reverse as Clay gapes at me with a face of betrayal. When I turn to see his shocked look, I giggle quietly as I swerve my car onto the busy street.

"You have obviously never had a girlfriend if you really think we're going to your first choice. Oh, come on dude," I say as he looks away with a hurt look in his eyes, "I kinda like how I'm your first, it's refreshing!"

Clay tries to keep up the hurt puppy look and fails as he dissolves into smiles. "Fine! But I get choice of music since you get to choose the restaurant." He shifts in his seat as he tries to figure out the dash board of the car, his eyebrows furrow in confusion.

"You need help?" I ask, trying to hold back my smile.

"No, I got it," Clay says quietly, almost as if he's telling himself more than he's telling me.

His fingers fumble clumsily across the dash and randomly presses buttons. I gasp as Clay's clumsy hand slips and slams on the "Play" button, and I nearly crash the car from what comes next.

"Here we are, the tenth tape. Double digits."

My body freezes as I almost swerve the car into a tree, and then onto the sidewalk.

"If you've gotten this far, you know it may seem like I've never had any real friends. Well, it turns out that I used to. You're about to hear why it's a thing of the past."

Clays hand is frozen, motionless in the air as all the color drains from his face.

"This one goes out to my ex best friend, the most perfect girl in school. The rich, pretty girl who could never hurt someone, right? Wrong."

"Turn it off!" I scream, clutching the wheel as I narrowly avoid an oncoming truck.

"You see, some girls don't want to share. Some do. And some just want whatever they can't have. Little Miss Perfect, with the rich daddy and the dead brother."

"CLAY FOR THE LOVE OF FUCKING GOD, TURN HER OFF!" My throat aches with pain as the guttural scream escapes my lips, and I'm shocked by my own tone of panic and urgency.

"This tape is for you, Isabelle Atkins, and listen closely, cause I'm never going to repeat myself."

Passing cars honk at me as I struggle to breathe, almost causing an accident as Hannah's voice blasts from inside the car.

"You were perfect. The day that I first saw you, walking down the hall with your brother, I knew that I could never be you."

I use a free hand to smack Clay's leg in an attempt to bring him down to Earth, yet he stays totally still. His knuckles are white as his fists clench in his lap.

"And then, as if by some miracle, you decided you liked me enough to be friends. I was new, and you were the popular girl. I felt so lucky that you even gave me time out of your day. That feeling of luck wouldn't last."