white noise

we made it to #6 for the clay jensen tag!! it's a minor accomplishment but thank you so much for reading, y'all don't know how much it means to me.

thank you and enjoy!!

Stirring slowly from my sleep, I open my eyes very slightly to shield myself from the blinding sun pouring in through the window. The room is filled with shining rays of light, heating the tip of my nose where the sun misses it.

In the morning light, my hair is a glowing, tangled shade of red. I faintly run my tiny fingers across the vibrant strands, and I consider dying it once again as the violently red color sends a wave of irritation through me. It's an unnaturally bright color, despite being wholly natural, one I've been teased for since I had first grown it as a toddler.

I'll ask Clay when he wakes up. I think, and silently curse myself for being constantly unable to make my own decisions, and for being perpetually insecure.

A curious peek under the covers tells me exactly what I already knew. Circular, purple bruises stretch across the otherwise milky skin on my hips. I should be concerned, but the sight causes a flustered blush to bloom in my cheeks.

Why am I so into this?

Though my back is turned to Clay, I can feel his heartbeat, slow and steady on my shoulder. His left hand stretches languidly across my waist, and our fingers are closely intertwined. His other hand is limp in mine as he remains in a deep sleep, eyes fluttered to a close and face adorably peaceful.

My heart fills with affection as I lay in Clay's sleeping arms, wrapped in an old t-shirt of his. Deep warmth and coziness blazes like a fire in my chest, and I never want to leave this snug comfort.

Knowing I won't be able to fall back asleep, I use my free hand to wipe away the old mascara and rub my eyes. I smooth out my hair as I hear Clay's heartbeat slowly pick up, signaling he was nearly awake.

An alarm clock next to me flashes "9:45." I start to panic, but then I remember that today is a weekend, and I snuggle deeper into Clay's arms. He's close to being fully awake, and I feel his arm muscles tighten around me as he arises out of his slumber.

"Ellie?" a voice in my ear makes me jump slightly.

His voice is low and husky as he lifts his head off the pillow to look at me. He's a little delirious, but fully awake now with his face resting in the crook of my neck. I decide right then and there that his morning voice is of my favorite part about him.

"Good morning!" I chirp, a sudden burst of energy coursing through me. I blame the ADHD. Turning over to face Clay, I kiss the tip of his nose and he smiles at me. "Let's get breakfast."

"Where?" Clay asks, looking at me with a happy, smitten gaze.

Thinking for a moment, I smile at him. "Rosie's. And let's actually get there this time."

I deliberately make humor out of that day, because I know that it hurt both of us to hear Hannah's voice again on a stereo, especially since it was my tape playing. I can't tell if Clay thinks about Hannah or not, even when I'm watching his face so intensely, for he quickly pushes himself out of the sheets to pull his famous hoodie over his shoulders.

"Sounds good," he says nonchalantly.

Choosing to ignore my doubts on his true feelings, I move to climb out of bed before remembering I am still completely naked under his t-shirt.

A painful yet deep shred of insecurity keeps me from jumping out the way I used to be able to, before the Clubhouse. Pushing it out of my mind, I emit a small grunt of effort as I wrap the blankets tighter around my body to search for my backpack. I pull my change of leggings out of my bag and rapidly throw them on, growls of hunger rumbling in my stomach.