Birthday Treasure

One Year Ago

Six year old Evie placed the makeup brush down. She looked at her face in the mirror, seeing make up everywhere. She nodded to herself, her stomach letting out a growl. She closed her eyes, hoping her mother would let her have some food. She had been so hungry and water could only do so much. Evie jumped off her chair and walked out of her room. She looked up at her mother. "Mommy?"

The Evil Queen looked at the little girl, letting out a scoff. "Ugly. Why can't you do anything right? Why couldn't I have gotten a beautiful daughter? Go wash that off and do it again ."

Evie flinched as her mother said that. Evie looked to her feet, before looking at her mommy."Mommy, I'm hungry," Evie whispered, her voice small. Her little hands were fiddling in front of her. Her brown eyes filled with pain and hunger.

"Maybe if you tried better you'd be able to eat. Get out of my face."

"It's my birthday," Evie whispered, looking down. Her voice as small as she felt.

The Evil Queen let out a laugh. "You've been useless since the day you were born, do you really think I'd celebrate the day of your birth?"

Evie seemed to cave into herself. She shook her head and walked away.

A few days later, the Evil Queen was murdered, two days after, Evie was discovered.

Blueberry Treasure

Present

Mal sat on the bed, her eyes on the sleeping girl. Evie was snuggled in bed, curled into a little ball under the blankets. Mal smiled, seeing the peaceful look on her face. Evie's mouth moved, as she muttered in her sleep. Leaning closer, she could hear the little girl asking for the apples to stop dancing.

Mal turned her head to look at her her best friends, Evie's fathers. She stood up and helped them bring the tray of breakfast in.

Once they set the food on the bedside table, Carlos leaned forward. "Evie," he whispered, running his hand through the girl's hair, trying to gently wake her up. Mal smiled when she saw the little girl scrunch up her face in her sleep. "Blueberry, baby, time to wake up."

Evie let out a little whine. "No."

"Don't you want to celebrate your birthday? Mommy, Daddy and I worked really hard."

Evie whined again, before opening her eyes. She sat up with a yawn and rubbed her eyes with the back of her hands. "Birthday?" Her voice was so small, so full of hope, it hurt Mal's heart.

"You're seven," Jay whispered, excitement in his voice. "Today is a very, very, very special day. And it's all about you."

Evie let out a small yawn. "Me?" Evie asked, looking at her parents.

"All about you," Mal whispered, kissing the top of the girl's head. "Let's get your teeth brushed and you get to eat your birthday breakfast in bed. And then we have a surprise for you."

"Surprise? For me?" Evie questioned, her eyes looking up at her mother.

"All for you."

Evie hugged her mother, and then her fathers. They all gave her a kiss on the cheek, holding her close.

Blueberry Treasure

Mal closed her eyes, feeling the light brush touch her cheeks. She smiled.

"Stop," Evie whined, getting her mother to stop smiling.

"It tickles."

Evie huffed. The brush left Mal's face. The young mother squinted opened her eyes and watched while Evie looked at the pallet of color. She saw Evie pout before picking a color. Mal was quick to close her eyes. She wrinkled her nose when the brush touched her face.