A Specific Problem

Hester is almost disappointed that Tedros seems to have anticipated their presence.

He stands in the doorway and stares at them tiredly, painted, glittered eyes moving over the Coven, who stare coldly back at him, to Sophie, who's sat at the back, staring determinedly at her expensive rings, trying to avoid his eyes.

"Come in and si'down." Hester commands. She doesn't know if he'll listen- he looks rather as if he wants to bolt, but where can he go? He can't leave the speakeasy, looking like that, and being who they know he is. And they all know full well who's sat out in the bar with the now distraught Nicola, and she rather thinks Tedros does, too.

So Tedros comes in and sits down, perching awkwardly and stiffly on the vanity stool. He's very open, Hester thinks, which is probably going to make him very easy to crack.

"D'you know why we've come to chat with you?"

Tedros clearly thinks of something snarky to say, but he catches her eye as he glances up, and looks back down without saying anything.

"No." He mutters, even though he clearly does. Hester hides a smirk.

"What can you tell us 'bout your family?" She asks innocently.

"My family?"

Hester rolls her eyes.

"Everyone has one, like it or not. Yeah, you sap, your family. Who are they? Don't think any of us know any Merediths."

Tedros looks uncomfortable.

"Meredith family- traders. Stocks."

"Successful?"

"Moderately."

Hester can see Anadil watching the conversation carefully, red eyes narrowed, tapping her pale fingers on her knees. She's focused in that narrow, detailed way of hers that Hester admires so- but she hasn't accused him of lying yet.

Odd. Then again, he's not quite answering properly, is he?

"Father, specifically?"

Here's where he looks shifty.

"... War veteran, too."

Well, that's not a lie, but it's a vague statement that nearly stretches the truth.

"High up?"

Tedros shrugs reluctantly.

"Sort of."

Sort of. Hester nearly snorts. He's a dreadful liar- that's a huge reach. But she's not interested in that bit. Maybe someone else would be, but not her, not now.

"Any siblings?"

"No, none."

Now that pisses her off, because he delivers it so very well.

It's almost as if he believes it.

Suddenly his floundering and unconvincing answers are less amusing.