•12•

*

"Follow me

"Follow me."

Ellie makes conversation with Sam and (Y/N) smiles at a reluctant Joel, who was pressing a cloth against her nose. She takes it from him, indicating with her hand for him to move.

"Don't worry." She tells him, following Henry out of the door of the room as she hears him sigh in response behind her.

They make their way down the corridor and to the stairs and Henry takes a glance at them. "Is it just you, your wife and your daughter?" He asks Joel.

"Uh, we're not related." Joel begins and (Y/N) chuckles slightly. "Yeah and we're definitely not married. More like... um - we're, uh..."

"I promised someone I'd look after them." Joel concludes.

"Yeah, I can appreciate that."

(Y/N) awkwardly clears her throat, heading in front of Joel and following Henry into a toy store where he promptly shushes the group. "Get away from the windows." He mumbles and everyone ducks down, watching as the truck passes by.

"Man, that fuckin' truck. It's been hounding us ever since we got in this damn - Sam, what're you doing?"

Everyone shifts their attention to Sam, who holds a toy robot. "Nothing."

"Get rid of it."

"My backpack is practically empty."

"What's the rule about takin' stuff?" Henry reminds him in annoyance.

"It weighs like nothing." Sam protests.

"The rule. What is it?"

"We only take what we have to." He finally repeats and Henry nods. "That's right now c'mon."

Joel and (Y/N) share a glance, making her shrug slightly and continue the trek alongside Henry, leaving Joel by himself and Ellie walks with Sam.

"So how far is this place?" She asks, discarding the now bloodied cloth and deciding the nosebleed was done.

"We're close. Real close." He informs her, opening the door.

"Shit." Joel whispers. "Ellie watch our backs." He orders, stopping the hunters from afar and making sure everyone had ducked down. It doesn't take long and Henry applauds the two, cheekily pointing at Joel. "Nice work old timer."

Joel frowns and then glares at (Y/N) holding back a laugh.

The group climb up and cross the wooden plank into the building. Henry motions to the door and Joel becomes skeptical once more. "Are you sure it's safe, being so close to them."

"I'm the only one with the key, man."

"And where'd you get that?"