•15•

*

Fall

Fall

"Jackson County. Means we're close to Jackson City, right?" Ellie asks, reading the sign.

"Shouldn't be more than a few miles." Joel states.

"You ready to see dear old brother?" (Y/N) questions him, pulling her jacket tightly around her.

"I'm just ready to get there."

"You nervous?" Ellie adds.

"I don't know what I'm feeling." He sighs and (Y/N) places a comforting hand on his arm, giving him a soft smile and trudging on. He reaches into his pocket and watches her walk away. "I have no idea." He mutters.

They follow the trail, but the road they're on crumbles at the end and Ellie sighs, not even surprised. "So much for this road."

"We just follow the river. It'll lead us straight to Tommy's." Joel tells her, motioning for them to follow him down the slope.

"What happened between you two?" The teenager continues.

"What do you mean?"

"You and Tommy, you're not together so clearly something went down." She states.

"We just had a bit of a disagreement, that's all." He admits.

"Oh here we go... what was it about?" Ellie asks, glad to be getting somewhere.

"Tommy saw the world one way. I saw it the other."

"And that's why he joined the Fireflies?" (Y/N) speaks up and he gives her a nod. "Your friend Marlene promise him hope."

"She promised us all hope."

Joel takes more of the disappointment to her voice, but doesn't want to press. "That kept him busy for a while, but just like Tommy, he eventually quit that too."

"How was it, the last time you saw him?" Ellie questions.

"I believe his last words to me were: 'I don't ever want to see your goddamned face again'." Joel remembers.

"But he's gonna help us?" Ellie states, an underlining of worry in her question.

"I suppose we are going to find out." (Y/N) says and Joel sighs. "Indeed we are."

"Well, with or without his help, we'll get there." Ellie smiles, her optimistic view shining and the firefly chuckles. "Sure, kiddo."

"I mean you must know something about the location. Marlene trusted you more than anyone." Ellie says.

"I'll admit, Marlene's faith in me dwindled when I refused her orders more than I should've." (Y/N) ends the conversation at that, ignoring both their stares to take the lead.