•22•

TW: Rape is mentioned by Marlene but only briefly

*

The bright light makes her wince, closing her eyes shut again and only bringing them slightly open until they adjust

The bright light makes her wince, closing her eyes shut again and only bringing them slightly open until they adjust. (Y/N) groggily sits up, placing a gentle hand to the back of her hand and wincing.

She frowns at her change in surroundings and then her eyes widen and she gets off the bed, wincing in pain once she leans against her leg. She limps out of the room and follow the endless corridors.

Hearing voices in another room, she cautiously approaches.

"The hell you mean, surgery?"

"The doctors tell me that the cordyceps, the growth inside her, had somehow mutated. It's why she's immune. Once they remove it, they'll be able to reverse engineer a vaccine."

"A vaccine." (Y/N) repeats, stopping in the doorway. Joel and Marlene turn to face her, a look of relief washing across her lover's face. Marlene, similarly, looked relief, but it's gone as quick as it was expressed.

"You're alright." He breathes and she moves in to join them, her hand gripping his arm.

"It grows all over the brain." She whispers, feeling his hand rest against her lower back and Marlene holds back her emotions with a slight nod. "It does."

Joel realises this and grits his teeth. "Find someone else."

"There is no one else."

"Listen." He lets go of (Y/N), moving closer to Marlene. "You're gonna show me where -" he's cut off by the other Firefly in the room hitting him, sending him to the floor.

"Stop." Marlene orders and (Y/N) bends down to help him, the queen Firefly towering over the pair.

"I get it. But whatever it is you think you're going through right now is nothing to what I have been through." She states. "I knew her since she was born. I promised her mother I would look after her."

(Y/N) scoffs, standing up. "Bullshit. You dumped the poor girl on me as soon as you got the chance."

Marlene dangles a chain in the middle of them, her old friend's name shining in the dim yellow of the light. "You don't even belong to us anymore."

(Y/N) eyes the pendant, remembering her deals with being part of the militia group. "Why are you letting this happen, Marlene?"

"Because this isn't about me. Or even her. There is no other choice here!" She exclaims.

(Y/N) looks down to Joel, who's face scrunches in anger and he sits back, leaning against the seat. He rests his arms on his knees and his partner takes the chair. "You keep telling yourself that bullshit." He tells her.

Marlene regards the pair. "March them out of here. They tries anything, shoot them." She orders her companion. "Don't waste this gift." She whispers, giving them a sad smile and turning to the door.