Man on the Inside - Part 5

Retten's men broke open the door, not caring that it was already unlocked, and came in through the windows. The all wore grey outfits with a red badge on their shoulders. But they found apartment 2G empty.

"Where are they?"

"I'm checking the tracker now." One of them consulted a blackberry with a blue grid on the screen.

"See if you can find the drive that traitor Massaru left with them."

"It's not here."

"He's in the basement!"

"Move. Remember, we need to bring him back alive."

---

William kept the sonic hearing on as he and Reese climbed out of the shaft that led from a trap door in 2G's back closet to the parking garage two stories below. It smelled of stale urine and gasoline. Few cars used the garage, and most of them were tinged with rust. Reese touched his earpiece, concentrating on Beni, while William listened to Retten's men.

"Shit," cursed William. "They're following us."

"Beni says she's just a few blocks away," said Reese as he took the safety off his gun.

"We'll have to meet her outside."

The two of them stayed along the wall, sprinting for the exit. The garage was dimly lit, making the car exit seem bright even thought daylight was waning. In a dash from the wall to one of the cement pillars in the lined in the center of the garage, they heard a shot come from ahead. William and Reese ducked behind a car, hearing bullets shatter the windows and riddle the metal body.

"Don't kill him!"

"What about the one in the suit?"

"Him you can kill."

"Fuck," the safecracker mouthed as he crouched down low behind the front tire.

"Shooting in daylight where there could be everyday people about," hissed the young agent. "They're not even using silencers."

William, behind the back tire, whipped out his own gun and realized he had unconsciously put his other arm over his stomach. Was Louis alright? He hadn't heard a word from him since going down the chute.

"Louis?" he whispered.

Whatever the blonde replied was lost to the sound of more bullets razzing the car. William snarled and fell to the ground, looking under the suspension. No more than ten yards away were three pairs of feet.

Idiots.

He aimed his gun and shot three times, bullets punching through three tendons, leaving three men screaming. Sparks flew as they fired weakly at the base of the car, making William sit back up.

That should keep them occupied.

Reese grinned. "Good shot."

"Louis?" William asked again. All he was picking up on the SkySprecht was the rapid, echoed beat of his own heart. "Louis can you say that again?"

It took a moment before he got a heated response.

"What the hell are you doing out there you freaking idiot! I feel like a piece of chicken in a bag of shake-n-bake!"

"Good, you're alright."

"She's close," said Reese. "Let's go."

The two agents looked around the car and stood to dash for the next pillar.