Man on the Inside - Part 10

Louis, his SkySprecht on sonic hearing, heard every word exchanged between Cetz and William, and he was still as stone. One of two things was going to happen. Either in half an hour he'd start growing back to normal, killing William from the inside, or, in an hour and a half, he would die, going the way of the chicken salad sandwich. He felt as if he had been doused with freezing water. Numbly, he could hear William's heart pick up speed.

Don't panic, Louis commanded himself. Don't panic. You may or may not die in the next couple hours; you've been in this kind of situation before... albeit not in someone's stomach. You've gotten out of those situations fine, this will be no different.

His hand twitched to the knife in his boot and a calculating part of him wondered how long William would have if Louis simply cut his way out while he was small instead of growing.

No, no, don't you dare think that unless it's the absolutely last option.

"I wouldn't be thinking this shit if I could get my hands on some coffee," Louis muttered.

"Head in the direction of the base," echoed Cetz.

William's voice was lower, less steady. "W-what about the security protocol?"

"Fuck the damn security!" yelled Louis.

"Forget the damn security!" echoed Cetz at the same time. "We need to get him out of you, now! Now where are you?"

---

"Please, I haven't even given these a second test yet!" protested Grant, his arms full with two experimental E.S.S. devices, as he followed Rachel and a nurse into the underground garage.

Rachel ignored the head Tech, swinging her medical bag onto the floor of the open van. It was equipped with a BT-8 and the motor was running idle. Plastic sheeting and a bag of sterile suits with hoods hung above the scanner. She and the nurse took the devices from Grant's arms and strapped them to the bolts on the floor.

"They won't work for more than an hour!" he said.

"Then I'll just have to be damn fast about it," Rachel snapped. "Beni, get ready to burn rubber!"

The dark haired woman saluted from the driver's door and once the van door was slammed shut the vehicle was off towards the elevator that took it to street level. If the gate between the elevator and the parking garage that served the building next door was down, then her conversation with the Watch One Medical Station worked. If it was still up...

"Please let this work," she prayed.

---

"I'm on the corner of 142nd and Webster, going south," said William. He was breathing hard, his hand occasionally pressing against his gut when the cramps became too much to ignore. But he kept walking at a brisk pace, passing the warehouse district into low-end apartments with trashcans at the curb.

"Rachel and Beni are on their way." A beep echoed on Cetz's headset. "Damn, I have to let you go, but keep heading towards the base. I'll call back as soon as possible."

---

Cetz answered the beep on his headset. It was Rachel. "Boss, we've got a Big Problem."

"Did you run out of gas?"

"No! The gates are still up!"

"What?!"

---

"Cetz?" whimpered William. "Cetz!"

The line was dead, no static, no nothing. And, as a consequence of Cetz's call, his link with Louis was cut off as well. William's pace slowed. Had Louis heard what was happening? He raised his hand to press against his stomach, ignoring the flash of fever as another cramp overtook him.