breakfast with the grandparents

On the cloudy Thursday morning, Noelle got a lay in as she didn't have any practices before school

On the cloudy Thursday morning, Noelle got a lay in as she didn't have any practices before school. She languidly walked down stairs to get herself breakfast, still in her favourite fluffy pyjamas. As soon as she stepped foot in the kitchen, she was ushered back out and told to sit at the dinner table. Sat at either end of the table was her grandparents, both with a newspaper as they waited for their food.
The quiet room was broken by Noelle's morning voice, greeting them. "Good morning." As she took her place in her usual chair, and placed her head in her folded arms on the table.
"Good Morning Ellie." Her grandad happily greeted while her grandmother remained silent.
"Noelle. You will never guess who I saw at the club yesterday." Cecile started, without waiting for an answer she continued. "She was very happy to share some news. Very exciting news that I thought would interest you." She vaguely continued, causing Noelle to scrunch up her hidden face.
"Cecile dear, it's too early for these riddles. Put the poor girl out of her misery." Edward teased as he put down his newspaper, waiting for her wife's big reveal.
"Emily Gilmore was prattling on about her magnificent granddaughter who just started at Chilton. Her granddaughter who lives with her daughter. In Stars Hollow. Now picture my surprise, when I first hear about this from Emily Gilmore and not my dearly beloved granddaughter." Cecile revealed with dramatic pauses perfectly executed.
Noelle slowly raised her head and guiltily looked towards her grandmother who stared at her expectantly.
"Oh. That."
"Yes. That." Her grandfather mimicked.
"I'm sorry. I wanted to tell you guys, I swear. But I wasn't even sure how I felt about it and I know you guys don't really like to talk about Stars Hollow." Noelle tried to reason, guilt coating her every word.
"You don't need to apologise to us. We are worried about you Ellie. You have barely even mentioned the place since you left and now a girl shows up in your class." Cecile explained, placing her hand delicately on Noelle's arm.
"I know. But it really wasn't that bad. I mean at first I was scared but... Rory was always really nice and her mom is really sweet. They actually managed to make me think about visiting the Hollow." Noelle softly said as she fidgeted with her fingers.
"Oh." They let out in surprise.
"Well that's great dear." Edward continued with a tone of support.
"I mean I wouldn't go to the house. But maybe to Luke's, the diner. Or to Rory's house. She doesn't really have any friends yet so I thought I'd-"
"You don't have to explain. It's okay." Cecile interrupted her ramblings, her kind tone settling Noelle's worries.
"Okay." Noelle finished, seeming to end the discussion.
Mia walls out with the breakfast tray, placing a bowl in front of each of them.
"Oh Ed, tell her what Liz said." Cecile said lightly as they all dug in, dispersing the tense atmosphere.