eat pancakes at my wake

Bright rays of golden light leaked through the front windows of the family home

Bright rays of golden light leaked through the front windows of the family home. The worn couch had swallowed the small figure of Rory Gilmore as Lorelai laid sprawled out across the armchair which left Noelle comfortably curled up on their soft carpet, drowning in blankets and cushions. The intrusive light made Noelle's eyes flutter open, before closing quickly she went to turn around when she realised her unfamiliar surroundings. She shot up out of her diy bed and looked around, she calmed when she recognised the home and it's owners surrounding her. However, that moment of calm didn't last as she quickly jumped to her feet with an exclamation.
"Crap!" Her head whipped around in a panic looking for something in particular.
"Rory, Rory!" Noelle called out in a panic but the brunette was unresponsive. Noelle picked up a cushion from the floor and threw it at the sleeping girl's face.
"What was that for?" Rory whined as she squinted her eyes and went to throw the cushion back but let it fall to the floor out of tiredness.
"Where's your phone?"
"Over there." Rory replied with a wavering point to the corner of the room. Noelle rolled her eyes as Rory's lack of help but took to searching that area before she found it.
"Can I use the phone?"
Rory made some noise that Noelle took as permission before she hastily punched in the familiar digits.
The ring of the phone droned on, it felt like minutes until the phone was answered causing Noelle's heart rate to spike.
"Hello, Hasting's residents." A clear, polite voice answered.
Noelle let out a breath as she quickly rushed out, "Gram's I am so sorry. I swear I was meant to call and tell you but I just got completely sidetracked and then I was planning on coming home but then we all fell asleep. I just- I am so sorry I didn't tell you and I didn't call and I fell asleep."
"Oh Noelle? It is so nice to hear from you. How have you been, it's been so long?" Cecile replied sarcastically but kept her polite tone.
"Gramsss." Noelle whined as she threw her head back. She was hoping that her grandmother wouldn't make this any harder but she should have known. Her grandmother loves to make things into an event, just for her own devilish entertainment.
"Noelle, you know you're supposed to call. You should have rang home as soon as you got to the Gilmore's house." Cecile advised with more concern.
"I know I- how did you know I was at the Gilmore's?" Noelle asked confused.
"Oh a lovely young man told me, wish it had been my granddaughter but beggars can't be choosers." Cecile added, the amusement dribbling back into her tone.
"Young man? Who?"
"Nathaniel."
Noelle let out a laugh at her grandmother calling Nate a 'lovely young man'.
"When did you speak to Nate?"
"He rang after you last night, he asked if you were back from Rory's house and wanted to know if you were okay."
"I swear I will be home as fast as I can."
"It's okay Noelle, as long as your happy and safe you can stay there for breakfast if you'd like?"
"Umm are you sure? I have to check with Lorelai."
"Of course. I'll see you later dear, I love you."
"I love you too grams."

Noelle turned around to meet the bright eyes of the Gilmore girls both looking at questioningly.
"Please eat pancakes at my wake."
"Was she really mad?" Rory asked with wide eyes as she stared worryingly at the blonde.
"No she was... nice." Noelle replied, her face as unsure as her tone.
"That's good." Rory responded with a relieved grin not sensing Noelle's confusion as she still held the house phone.
"Wait who was, what happened?" Lorelai implored trying to play catch up with the teenagers.
"My grandma. I fell asleep before I could tell her I was here."
"You hadn't told her?" Lorelai jumped to her feet getting ready to ring Noelle's grandmother and apologise.
"Rory sprang it on me!" Noelle defended only a high pitched tone. "I meant to but I forgot, but Nate told her yesterday so it wasn't too bad. She knew that I was here and okay."
"Ooo who's Nate?" Lorelai asked, worry escaping her with Noelle's reassurance.
Noelle groaned as she rolled her eyes.
"I'm going to need coffee before boy talk."
"Then let's get ready and get to Luke's! Rory you're okay to lend Noelle some clothes right?" Lorelai asked as she raced up the stairs.
"Yep, lets go, I need some french toast."

The trio walked into the familiar dinner, a wave of nostalgia hit Noelle like a truck as she took in the green walls and red chairs. Just like the rest of Stars Hollow nothing had changed. But Noelle really hoped that one thing had changed, one person.

She really hoped her dad sang when he made breakfast again. Hoped he sat in his blue armchair in the evenings and read a book which he never finished. That he tried to mix broken hinges or loose floor boards but just managed to make them worse. She really hoped that Sam Booth was the father she had dreams about, not the one from her nightmares.