Chapter Seventeen

Despite there being no logical reason for them to, everyone joins me on the trip down to London for Connor's event. I could easily go alone, but they're eager to join, and it would be like asking them to burn the book they're reading just when things are about to get good. I also need all the moral support I can get; I'm hardly known for my self-sufficiency.

We're back in the jeep, driving south with our windows down, fresh flowers stuffed into every corner of the car, and music blasting. It's just like old times, only the sense of impending dread is significantly lower. We're all feeling pretty positive about our mission, especially after our few weeks back at uni were so uneventful.

"What do you think he'll be like?" Carmen asks me.

She's sitting in the middle seat between me and Jamie. Tom pretty much always ends up in the passenger seat given he's about ten foot tall.

"Connor"? I question, to which Carmen nods. I shrug. "Not sure. He's freakishly calm in all my visions. Seems like the kind of guy who always knows what he's doing."

"Practically twins then, you and him?" Jamie jibes from the other side of the car, his voice drowning in sarcasm.

I have to admit, considering where Jamie started, he's fast improved. His comebacks and digs used to primarily consist of telling people to shut up, or calling them stupid. He's become a lot more witty since we first met. I like to think it's my influence.

"That's big talk for someone who can't even avoid getting possessed."

"That was one time!" Jamie snaps. "And it was hardly my fault, was it, Ava?"

"I'm not getting involved," Ava says before Jamie has even finished the sentence.

I start sniggering, and Carmen holds back a laugh as she rests her head on my shoulder. I like to think she's laughing with us, not at us, but I know I'm probably kidding myself.

"I mean, the guy's an academic, which fits pretty well with the whole calm and collected thing he has going on in my visions," I say in further response to Carmen's question. "He'll probably be a bit dry, no offence to him."

"Stiff academic type," Tom agrees. "One-hundred percent."

"That is such a stereotype!" Carmen smacks my arm as she lifts her head back up. "He has a doctorate in parapsychology. Boring people don't have doctorates in parapsychology."

"They might if they also happen to talk to dead people," I point out.

As we drive on, I stare outside the window at the forest that runs alongside the road. Spring has fully kicked in, and the sun is out in full force. Everything smells fresh, and I let the air in as I crank the window down ever further. I could easily fall asleep. I think I might be about to when, without warning, Tom yells.

"Whoa, Ava, watch out!"

The car screeches before I even realise it's swerving. Ava yanks the steering wheel, and the car spins as we barely avoid flying off the road and into a nearby bush. It all happens within seconds. It's silent as we try to assess what the hell just happened. Dying in a car crash before we reach my brother? Now that would be ironic.

"What in God's name was that for?" Jamie shouts.

His face is white, and his usually slicked back hair has fallen out of place. He pushes it back into its usual overly gelled style with a notable degree of rage, and he must have held his breath throughout the entirety of that or something because he starts gasping.

"There was someone in the road," Tom explains. "Crap, you didn't hit her, did you, Ava? Was there a bang? What if we killed her, oh--"

"Sh!" Ava snaps. "I don't think..." she says slowly before opening her car door, and stepping out.