Chapter Twenty

We change the topic of conversation after things start turning a little too serious. Only slightly, but that's on me. I ask Connor about his abilities, which he reveals are exclusive to spirit talking. I questioned the blessing thing, but he explained how anyone, even a regular person, can bless a place. It's just a case of learning. Spirit talkers generally pick it up easier, and create stronger blessings than regular people, but it's all down to learning. I'm not too eager to learn myself, but if I ever want a twenty-four seven high, I'll let Connor know.

We manage to stay away from the topic of dead families and evil spirits for pretty much the rest of the day. We don't do much, but it's somehow one of my best days in a long time. Probably since my birthday, not that the two can really be compared.

Once we finished at the café, we headed to a local park and just talked for hours. Connor explained to me the benefits of having me on the side of dark spirits, which he felt was veering way too much into banned conversation, but I demanded. Those with the strongest abilities have been known to bridge the connection between dark spirits without the need for a middle man.

Instead of being a go between, I could potentially allow them to talk as pure spirits do. As humans do. Just pass each other in the street, and spark up a conversation. Connor pointed out that dark spirits can be angry and violent, sure, but there's only so much one can achieve alone. The ability for dark spirits to interact normally could lead to something a lot worse.

At around six, we pop back to the hotel to check up on any progress the gang have made in researching my potentially evil granny, but it's little. Carmen's in her hotel room, but she hadn't had any luck last time Ava checked. Annabel is sitting with Ava, Jamie, and Tom, but the moment I appear, she manifests herself elsewhere without a word, and it makes me want to punch myself in the face.

I try to remain optimistic about the lack of progress. The guys have only been looking a short while. I tell them to call it quits for the night, and I'm about to say goodbye to Connor when he suggests we grab some dinner together at his place. Never one to pass down an opportunity for free food, I happily agree to the offer. As we're about to say goodbye to everyone though, Connor stops in his tracks.

"Wait, before we leave."

He pulls out two small stones from his jeans' pocket, and holds them out for the gang to see.

"Oh, whoa, are you sure?" Ava exclaims.

Connor shrugs. "I don't need them. Just make sure those of you who don't have them on your person are always with someone who does."

I'm assuming the stones are blessed, not just, like, stones. Huh. That works out well, right? I could do with the extra protection of Connor's house, and these guys should be safe with the stones. Not to mention my free food.

Once Ava and Jamie have taken a stone each--no way were we trusting Tom with one--Connor and I head back out. I'm a bit gutted I didn't see Carmen, but also hugely relieved I didn't see her considering how much I embarrassed myself last night. I cringe, physically cringe, as my mind creeps back to our conversation last night. Why do I do this to myself?

"Annabel reappeared yet?" Connor questions as we arrive at his place.

"No," I mumble. I sigh. "I basically told her she is, and always has been, meaningless to me, so y'know, can't exactly be angry at her."

"Ouch. How did you manage that?" Connor unlocks his flat door. He shakes his head. "It's alright, she'll know you didn't mean it."

As if a switch has been flicked, the second I'm inside the flat, my slightly deflated mood is catapulted into something good. Something great. Amazing, brilliant, incredible. Why was I so miserable? That was dumb. I should--Wait, no. I literally slap myself in the face, which makes Connor turn his head. Snap out of it, dickhead. Connor is right though. I shouldn't get caught up in the Annabel situation. I can make it up to her. We're great. We're always great. She's great! We're always--For Pete's sake, snap out of it. I'm starting to question if coming here for food was a good idea.