Chapter Nineteen

"Uh, only if you do, uh, I'm not bothered, uh--uh--uh, up to you."

"Piss off. I will fight you, y'know? I don't care that you're my sister," I snap at Annabel. "Or dead. I'll re-kill you, I swear to God."

Annabel just bursts out laughing as my cheeks burn more and more. I didn't think she was around when I asked Carmen out in what has to be the worst ever attempt at asking a girl out made by anyone ever, but turns out she was. She heard every single word, and she's not let me forget about it since I woke up this morning.

"You're literal comedy gold sometimes," Annabel says through even more laughter.

Hilarious. I leave Annabel to be an arsehole alone, and head into the bathroom to get ready to meet with Connor. When I return to the bedroom, I see three missed calls from him. I try calling back, but the phone just rings out. Shit.

"Hey, Connor's been trying to call," I announce the second I spot Ava in the breakfast room downstairs. "I've tried calling back, but--"

"Yeah, he called me. Don't panic," Ava reassures me as I stop above the table she's sitting at alone, and immediately, I panic. "But something might've paid him an angry visit last night."

"What?" I practically shout, which gets me some raised eyebrows from other hotel guests.

"Whoa, it's groovy, he's okay, don't worry. He said to meet at his place."

We meet Connor at his flat barely thirty minutes later. It's just Ava and me. I'd rather not dangle the others in front of danger again after yesterday. I had to be convinced by Ava to even let her join. Hell, I was tempted to tell Annabel to stay behind. Connor's building sits in a suburban looking street that resembles most other side streets I've seen around Central London. It's a white terraced house, but much larger in size than the Gruffudds' tiny thing up in Scotland. 

Ava and I jog up a few steps to reach the front door, buzz Connor's flat, and wait until we hear a click. Once inside, we head straight for his place on the ground floor. Despite my fear, as we wait outside Connor's door for him to open it, I'm bouncing from one foot to the other. I really want to get in there. I took my medication this morning, right? Yeah, I definitely did. I've been trying to get better at it since Ava told me off about not taking it. Ugh, where is he? I want to get inside.

"Relax, I'm sure he's fine," Annabel whispers in my ear, and I don't bother telling her I'm excited, not afraid.

The door swings open. Bingo! Connor is standing there with a dark bruise on his left cheek, but instead of anger, a burst of intense joy escapes me. It's fine. He's good. We're good. Connor is saying something, but I'm too busy fighting a grin off my face, and when we step into the place, holy shit. It's great! It's huge. This guy must be loaded. Do university researchers earn this much? He has to be a drug dealer or something. Holy crap, he has a lamp shaped like a dog.

"Felix?" Connor's voice briefly snaps me out of my amusement. I turn to see him and Ava standing in the living room doorway, while Annabel stands further into the room, and she stares at me with an expression that makes her look like she's given up all hope. "We're going this way," Connor continues.

He nods his head towards the hallway we were just in. Wait, did I walk in here by myself? What?

"Huh?" I question, barely keeping my attention focused on Connor. That lamp! Ha! "This place is amazing. Can I live here? It's so bright and nice and warm! I like dogs!"

"Whoa, yeah, of course. Sorry." Ava ignores me and turns to Connor. "He's sensitive to blessings."

"Clearly," Connor says through a laugh. He steps forward and waves his hand in front of my face. "Hey, buddy, come back to earth."