Chapter 10

AN: Yesterday was James Rhodes (Rhodey's) birthday, and because I'm always late, I'm just now posting a chapter! Towards the end, this chapter is all about him, so happy birthday!

--

*A month later*

In the dead of night, Natasha woke up to yelling and screaming outside the prison. She bolted up and had her hands clenched in fists.

Then keys were jingling and Clint was getting her out.

"What's going on?"

He handed her a gun. "Explanations later. Meet me by the east bridge."

Then they sprang into action, and in the hallway to the left of her, Natasha could see red magic filling the space. Now was her time to go. She grabbed the guards shoulders, kicked him in the gut, twisted his body, and slammed him on the ground.

Then she ran. Faster than she had ever run in her life east. A quarter of a mile there and she spotted a bridge. Clint was sitting there waiting, along with Steve. Wanda was behind Natasha. Sam wasn't anywhere to be seen.

"Where's Sam?" Steve asked.

"I thought he was right behind me!" Wanda declared, looking behind her.

"What's the plan now?" Clint asked Steve.

"Cuba."

"Oh, maybe I can get a tan." Wanda replied nonchalantly.

"What are we doing in Cuba?" Natasha asked.

"The usual, saving people and that stuff." Clint answered, knowing that was going to be Steve's answer.

"I'm glad you're all safe." Steve said, wrapping his arm around Natasha and kissing her cheek. He had missed that in the past month.

"So am I."

- -

Sam had been in the loop of the plan all along. But he hadn't felt right about it. Innocent guards were going to be killed because they were there, and trying to protect their country. No doubt after this they would be severely injured at the least. He didn't want to think about the worst possible thing that could happen.

He hadn't felt right about escaping in the first place. His bullet had hit Rhodey, his friend, and paralyzed him from the waist down. Without his braces, he wouldn't be able to walk.

And the only reason that bullet hit was because they thought it would be a great idea to start a fight in the airport so they could make their getaway. And even the getaway was illegal. Heck, even the "mission" was illegal. The Accords were the law now, and during his time in prison, he had gotten to sit down and study the Accords. The council had been kind enough for that. Steve had grunted in disgust and threw them, Natasha had slid them away, Clint had ripped them to shreds, and Wanda tried to use her magic, but Dr. Strange and Loki had put a spell around the entire prison. In those parameters, her magic didn't work, and it made life a lot easier.

He had sat down, away from the group and began to read the document. It had changed a little from the one he had gotten four months ago, but the majority was the same. He wished he had read it in depth before hand. Rhodey had been right. These were needed, and it wasn't fair that he got to break all the standards set in place, but a person shoplifting would have to face a trial. No, he was just like them, he deserved to be here. He was okay rotting here for the rest of his life.

But then Clint had found a way around Dr. Strange and Loki's spell and shut it down for five minutes. Natasha hadn't even known the plan until the moment Clint had gotten her out.