Chapter 24

At most funerals, people wore black and hung their heads sadly. It was, in a word, customary. But that's not what Tony insisted.

"Natasha died a hero. She was happy. She wouldn't want us in black. She would want us in white, the color of redemption." Nobody understood why Tony smiled at that last word, but listened to him and wore light, bright colors.

The public service had been yesterday, where they stood in the town square and people all over the world paid tribute to the hero whose sacrifice none of them had known about. Despite the rift that had been, everyone had gathered together in support. Steve was next to Tony, who had Hope and Rhodey on his other side. Wanda was next to Steve. Clint was there, with Laura and the kids. Cassie was beside Peter. Teammates, friends, and significant others were there to hold each other, to lean on each other.

Steve spoke first. He had previously decided to not mention their marriage, but focus on the sacrifice, because he didn't want anyone dragging her name through the dirt. She was a hero, and if she was his hero personally, they don't need to know that.

"Almost two decades ago I joined a group of misfits who were thrown into battle together. I had no idea of the battles we were going to face, the friendships that would be built, or the way it would transform my life. Natasha, she was our glue. She had a list of aliases, but the ones she was proud of were few. She was the first female Avenger, she was Tony's flame, but most importantly, out of all of those, she was Peter's mom. She would've never called herself a hero, but she proved many times more than necessary that she deserved that title. Her final act was one many of us would be afraid to do, but she did it bravely and she died peacefully, with a smile on her face. That is why we are here today, to celebrate and remember a hero, a sister, a wife, and a mother. Those are the only aliases that matter." Steve turned away from the podium, and finally started to cry. He almost stumbled his way into Wanda's hug, and he stood their sobbing, wetting her dress with all his tears.

Then Tony came up. Unlike his usual public appearances, it wasn't with an award winning smile, or a graceful hop in his step. He almost tripped on the way up, and you could see and hear that he was fighting back tears.

"We are all here because of Natasha. Some of you say she didn't leave a legacy. You're right. She left us something bigger than a legacy. She left us life. She gave hers up so we could live again." His voice hitched and he looked over his shoulder, needing the silent support he knew he would receive.

"Even after two years, the lights were off in people's homes. People stayed in their houses, only going out for basic essentials. But because of Natasha's sacrifice, we had the chance to reverse what Thanos did. She didn't have to take that. She didn't have to be the one to die. But she chose to, and when she did, she was at peace."

"She used to tell me that she had red on her ledger, and that she would like it gone. It's gone now. It's been gone longer than she's ever realized. Someday I would like to tell her that. I hope that wherever she is right now, she realizes just how much her sacrifice meant, just how much she's influenced our entire lives and renewed our joy. So I stand here today, asking you to join me to remember a hero whose sacrifice will never be forgotten."

Clint was supposed to speak, but he couldn't form any words, and instead leaned into Laura and sobbed, gut wrenching sobs for his best friend, his partner. The little girl he had saved twenty five years ago. She died and he couldn't save her. He couldn't keep his promise he had made to her all those years back.

-

It had been cold, the rain was slamming onto the tin roofs, each bounce sounded like a person dribbling a basketball. A redhead stood drenched over a dead body, shaking as she held the knife which he assumed she killed him with. Not giving it another thought, Clint kidnapped her and brought her to Nick, who ordered Clint to kill Ivan. The one mission he had never told her about. The one where he killed her father, the man who took life away from a little girl who just wanted to dance. The girl whose childhood memories consisted of killing, red, and angry outbursts. And in the very center was ballet shoes and tutus.