fourteen// A Night at the Opera

"Patrick was a..semi good kid," the principals voice echoed over the microphone. "he meant well."
Everyone could tell he struggled to find good words to describe the boy, but he was trying, and the school hated to admit it, but it was so much better without him.

God, why are birthdays so damn difficult? Eddie strolled through the hot topic aisles, the heavy metal threatening to burst his eardrums, leaving them vibrating when he left.
What did Richie buy from here anyways? He checked the shirts, and it's basically a replica of Richie wardrobe, so why does he keep coming back?
There were posters, so eddie looked through those. He found one he knew Richie would like, so he grabbed it. His eyes settled on the blue tag at the top, raising his eyebrows.
"Twenty dollars? This shit is overpriced as fuck!" He breathed, sliding the poster back into its holder. At this point Eddie was helpless. Riches birthday was in two days, and he still had no idea what to buy him.
He searched each section, even considering asking a store attendant what Richie bought.
It didn't take much for Eddie to realize that hot topic was definitely not his best bet, and he left. He passed by a few stores he wanted to go in, but had to remind himself he was shopping for Richie, not him.
He went out to his bike, which was parked at the rack in front of the mall, and began to pedal. He didn't necessarily know where he was headed, but maybe a stroll through downtown would give him some ideas.
He glanced around at the stores, grinning widely as he turned onto the sidewalk surrounding radio shack.
The door opened, the small bell ringing above his ears. The store was welcoming, "Hungry Eyes" playing in the back softly.
Eddie hummed along, searching for the Qs.
His eyes landed on the shelf labeled Q, letting his fingers flip through record after tape after vinyl. He decided on A Night at the Opera, gently pulling the vinyl off the shelf. As if on cue, "Love Of My Life" began to play, making Eddie smile to himself. He tapped his foot along with the all too familiar voice of Freddie Mercury, searching through the other records.
He knew nothing else could compare to Queen, knowing how much Richie enjoyed them.
He went to the checkout, buying the record despite the unreasonable price, smiling at the cashier and walking back out to the bike. The bag rested on his shoulder as he rode home, walking up to his bedroom.
The record felt like glass under his fingers. It had to stay pristine. For Richie.
He wrapped it neatly in black paper, adding a small silver bow as if it were a Christmas present for emos. He laughed a bit at the thought.
He was pleased with himself, and he knew Richie would be pleased with the gift.
At least he hoped he would be.