Chapter 12

Bruce wrapped his arms around the sobbing Jason, pulling him close to his chest. He ran a gloved hand through his hair, whispered soothing words in his ear as the small child cried.

Damian, who was across the room still next to Talia, saw Jason's break down and felt something snap inside him. He walked calmly away from his mother, past the father and son to the discarded katana. He picked it up, gaining the attention of the paralyzed Dick and the just coming to Tim. They stared at their brother, unsure of his intentions and whether or not he had broken free of whatever mind control Talia had them under when Damian lifted the sword and pointed it at his mother.

"You are despicable, mother. What you did to me was simply family tradition, but you have no excuse for what you have done to Jason. You blatantly manipulated and destroyed his psyche, taking an innocent child and turned him against his family." Damian began to walk towards his mother. "For those transgressions, you shall pay with your life."

"Damian, no." Tim spoke weakly, his voice still hoarse from his throat being crushed during the choke hold. "You can't...you can't kill her."

Damian smirked, turning to his family. "Oh, I won't be the one killing her." He turned to katana around so the hilt was facing Talia. "She will have that honor. Isn't that right, mother dearest?"

Talia looked like she wanted to say something completely different than what came out of her mouth. "Why yes, of course."

She took the sword from her son, ushering everyone out of the room. Damian stayed behind, returning to the hall a moment later with an unreadable expression. "It is done."

"How did you-" Tim, who had carried Dick out, was cut off by Damian.

"I had discovered she had been drugging mine and Jason's food with a suggestion drug, so that anything she told us we would believe or follow. Jason, being younger, was more susceptible to the effects. I simply...turned the tables." Damian smirked,  taking Jason from Bruce's arms.

"So you told her to kill herself and she did?" Bruce was not happy.

"It was the only way to ensure she would not harm Jason again. Besides, Shiva will most likely just use the Pit on her anyways, so did she really die?" Damian rocked Jason in his arms as they walked until the sobbing child fell asleep.

"Yes, Damian, she did."

Damian just shrugged as they came upon Lady Shiva. Damian nodded towards the dining hall and Shiva nodded back, letting them pass without incident. The others gave him an incredulous look.

"What? I still have a hold here."

On the plane, the phone was practically ringing off the metaphorical hook. Bruce answered it to see Diana standing there with a worried expression until she saw the sleeping Jason in the unharmed Damian's arms. Her expression changed to concern when she saw Bruce's bloody face and the paralyzed Dick.

"What the hell  happened in there? Why didn't you call for back up?"

"We didn't need it." Bruce grunted, taking the pilot seat. "Everything was handled."

Diana raised a skeptical eyebrow. "Uh huh, then why do you have a broken nose and why is Dick paralyzed?" All eyes unknowingly fell on Jason. Diana inhaled sharply. "No."

"Unfortunately, yes. Its a long story and we are all tired. I'll tell you later." Bruce hung up before Diana could say anything else.

The family flew back to the manor in silence, nobody daring to say a word in case they woke the sleeping child still cradled in Damian's arms. They departed the plane in the Batcave, being bombarded with questioning stares and unasked questions from the others, who arrived moments before them.

Bruce held up a hand to silence them, gesturing for his sons to take Jason upstairs so the following discussion would not wake the sleeping boy.

As soon as the door closed behind the boys, Bruce launched into the explanation. When he finished, the other heroes just stared at him in shock and horror.

"Oh, when I get my hands on that woman." Kori growled, her hands glowing green as she let her emotions get the better of her.

"Settle down, Damian...took care of her." The way Bruce said this, everyone knew what he meant.

"He killed his own mother?" Diana was in shock, knowing how Bruce felt about murder.

"No, as I explained, he had her kill herself." Bruce was still unsure of how to feel about that. He rubbed his eyes tiredly. "If you'll excuse me, I would very much like it if you all saw yourselves out. Thank you for your help in returning my sons home safely but I believe we all need some rest."

The others all nodded, murmuring their understanding and support as they exited the cave, leaving Bruce to make his way upstairs to the manor. He got to the manor, heading straight for Jason's room.

Once outside, he hesitated before stepping inside, a small smile making its way onto his face at the sight he was met with. All of his sons were piled protectively around Jason, who was snuggled in happily in the middle of the cuddle pile with a look of contentment on his face as he slept, thumb in mouth as always.

Bruce was about to close the door and leave when he heard a tiny voice call out to him. "Daddy? Please stay, I had the strangest, scariest dream..."

Bruce melted, closing the door as he returned to the bedside. He sank to the floor so he was eye level with Jason, who was looking up at him with wide innocent eyes. He patted the bed, motioning for his father to join the rest of the family in the cuddle fest. Bruce was careful not to wake the other sleeping boys as he got into bed, pulling Jason to his chest. Jason hummed happily, curling tight to his father as they both drifted off to sleep, happy to put that chapter of their lives behind them.