Wings AU

Disclaimer: I do not own Merlin or this wing sketch that  LethalCris Drawings made!

Author's Rant: So I've seen and read many Wings AU's before, and I've had this one in my head for a while. Basically, everybody is born with wings, and it has come to the point where they aren't viewed as some sort of magic, even when specific wings are different than others.  That being said, everybody has solid color wings, except for people born of powerful blood. Their wings are a solid color until the very bottom layer of feathers, where they display a completely different color. If a person didn't have powerful blood but then gained (or stole) it, their wings' bottom layer will shed into their newly gained color.   Royals are always born with these wings, and sometimes very powerful lords/lady's, but even then it's not as bold as royalty. People do fly, but in and around the castle is banned, so people in the castle and in the towns will act the same. This was really the only picture that was close to what I had in mind, so just imagine these as Merlin's wings except the upper feathers that are grey/black are much darker while the bottom white feathers are a more bright white. Enjoy!

Merlin loved his wings. He did, truly, it's just that sometimes, they can be a bit of a handful. Not only were they an unusually dark black, but the very bottom layer of his feathers were pure white. Why is that troublesome? Well, only royalty and sometimes powerful nobles/people ever had these wings. Merlin certainly wasn't a king, nor was he a landowner. He sometimes felt bad for his mother. Not only did she have to deal with a baby born with magic, but also a baby born with wings that symbolize high power. His mother would have to dye his wings and make him promise to never tell anyone (along with his magic), so he would be safe. When he was older, he tried using magic to cover the white up, but he never succeeded. He never really understood why he had to hind them until after coming to Camelot. Every week, he would use black paint to cover the white. That way, he would be safe from the thousands of questions his royal pratniss and the others would surely have.

And he always got away with it..........until recently.

(1 Week Ago)

"RISE AND SHINE!"

Arthur was having a very pleasant dream about signing a very important peace treaty and throwing a large celebration until it was very rudely disrupted by Merlin's morning screeching. He sat up in his bed, quickly ridding himself of his groggy I-just-woke-up-and-I-can't-process-anything-right-now to glare at Merlin, who was now yanking off his bedsheets.

"Merlin, must you wake me up every day with that awful three-word speech and proceed to rip my blinds apart? " Arthur said. Merlin just continued to smile while he started to pick up Arthur's clothes that were littered all over the floor. 

"Well, sire, perhaps you would rather me to gently pat your arm while you slumber until you wake up an hour later and say 'Your Majesty, it is a new dawn, filled with new possibilities, and, if you allow me, I would like to feed you the finest foods from the kitchens so you'll have enough energy to face any foes of today.' Then, I would proceed to spoon feed you like a baby." Arthur grumbled an insult at his manservant while started to eat his breakfast. While he was eating, he observed Merlin walk around the room to do random chores. Merlin was currently turned, going through his wardrobe to find clothes for Arthur when something caught the king's eye. On one of Merlin's wings, he thought he saw a feather that had a rather massive white blotch of...something, but before he could truly look at it, Merlin turned to walk towards the monarch again. Arthur brushed away his curiosity as Merlin spoke.