A Sword in a World of Wires

Disclaimer: I don't own Merlin! I've said it a hundred times and I'll say it a hundred more!!

Hello, my amazing readers!! This is pt. 3 of "Bring Back the Memories Once More." I've had a lot of fun writing this modern-au continuation because it's very different from stories I usually write. For my fans of songfics, get ready, because once I finish this modern-au storyline, I have another story in my head just waiting to be written! Also, thank you so much for 6,000+ reads!!!!!!

Previously:

Arthur merely shrugged and grabbed Excalibur, which had been resting on the ground next to him.

"No worries, it'll be just like before. Side by side, taking down evil threats to the kingdom."

Despite the warlock's morning being ruined by the news report, he couldn't help but chuckle.

"Now that you know about my magic, I won't have to hold back." Merlin grinned widely as he met Arthur's eyes, who grinned back.

"This is gonna be fun."

Present:

"WHY DID EVOLUTION INCLUDE LIGHTNING INSIDE METAL WIRES?" Arthur yelled out while he was fighting a monster. Merlin only grunted as he was fighting off another monster. At first, it was just random failures of technology and magical creatures appearing. Nothing that couldn't be easily solved. But then it started getting weirder. As technology started shutting down, magic started acting up. Magic would take buildings, telephone wires, and other things and mash them together. It would control them, spiking electricity in the cables and using them as arms. They were much harder to take down and control, especially when a certain prat insists on using a sword instead of something a little more helpful. Something like...a grenade. Or rocket launcher. Or something.

Merlin finally destroyed his monster with his magic and turned to Arthur. The king was still fighting, though his monster seemed to be injured, if that was cracks in its cement skin and wires unmoving on the ground counted for "injured"

"Duck!" Merlin called out. Arthur immediately rolled off to the side. The beast of machinery moved sluggishly to grab Arthur, giving the warlock the perfect advantage. 

"bryneleóma!" He called out, holding his hand out towards it. A beam of powerful energy shot out and hit the monster in its side, contacting the magic inside it and killing it. The magic in it shuddered and vanished, and everything that made up the beast fell to the ground, lifeless once more.

Merlin walked over and inspected the damage. He closed his eyes and chanted a spell, causing all of the rubble to go back to their original spots and fixing all of the buildings that were caught in the crossfire. By the time he opened his eyes, everything was as if it never happened. He looked around until he spotted Arthur. The Pendragon was watching him with awed eyes. He does that every time he has the chance to see Merlin do magic.

"Alright, admiring time is over. We need to go before the military shows up. Or worse, someone with a phone who records us."

Arthur nodded and held out his hand. Merlin grabbed it, teleporting them back to his house next to the lake.

Arthur set his sword down and went over to the kitchen, opening the fridge and started fixing them chocolate milk (once he got a taste of it, it became obsessed with it). Merlin, on the other hand, sat on his couch and thought. He knew it was hopeless getting Arthur to use anything but Excalibur. However, a sword, even as powerful as his, is weak against something with the skin of rock and metal. It also did little for the completely digital monsters, made of zeros and ones, traveling through the internet, and creating massive power surges that blow up laboratories and manufactories.