Rebirth (Part 1)

Disclaimer: I own neither Merlin nor this song! All rights go to their respective owners!

*casually checking my story for any updates/notifications*

*sees the number of reads*

*chokes on chocolate milk*

660+ reads??????????????????? Holy crap! Thank you so much, my precious readers!!! You have no idea how much this means to me. I know it seems melodramatic, but this really makes me happy. Again, thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!!!! * gives hugs and chocolate milk to everyone * If you have any requests or comments, please leave them below, I'd love to hear them! I hope you have a VERY lovely day/night!

You know how the story goes, for there have been hundreds of similar stories (some even being mine). You ask, "What are you talking about?" Oh, I am talking about banishment. Yes, you know the story, Arthur isn't exactly benevolent king that we thought he would be and banishes his own friend-his own brother, all because of a secret that brother was forced to keep. A month, maybe two later, he realizes his mistake, sends out knights to search, but never realized the damage that happens to Merlin. No, they just expect him to return, maybe angry at first, but all returns to the way it used to be. But, of course, not everything turns out the way you expect it...

Gwaine couldn't keep still. For the first time in months, maybe even years, they had their first good lead on Merlin's whereabouts. Some villagers heard of the search and came to Camalot, claiming that a man went to Balinor's old cave around the time of Merlin's banishment. Percival was the only other with him on his way to Balinor's cave. Percival was the only one he trusted enough to come with him. They had grown close, and Gwaine knew that he owed it all to Merlin, who was the entire reason he was a knight in the first place. The villagers were also with them, for the two knights didn't know the route. Arthur had argued relentlessly that he should've come as well, but Gwaine wouldn't have it. He yelled that seeing the King's face first after two years of banishment would probably convince Merlin to run away more than run to them.  After hours, Arthur finally backed down and Gwaine and Percival were on their way. They were but a day away, but they were retiring for the evening.

"Do you think he'll really be there?" Percival spoke quietly while poking his soup. Gwaine put down his empty bowl and sighed.

"Honestly, Percy, I don't know. But for some reason, this is the most hope I've had in a really long time. If this isn't it, I'm afraid that my hope of finding Merlin will disappear for good."

"Camalot will be lost without Merlin if it isn't already. If Merlin isn't there, I'm afraid the King will probably either go mad or shut himself from everyone that loves him."

Gwaine's stress and uncertainty finally busted out as he said "Well, he deserves it! He sent Merlin away for being born with magic! Merlin is living proof that magic doesn't corrupt, only the hearts of men decide. Merlin showed us that, and he paid the price of being alone from all of  the ones he loved most dear."

Percival didn't say anything, only nodded and started putting away supplies and setting up sleeping bags. Gwaine got ready for the first watch, and the rest of the night was spent in silence.

The next morning, Gwaine and Percival took down camp and started on the trail again. The villagers had left them with direction, for they needed to get back to their own village. About three hours of going through forests, plains, and mountains, they reached the mouth of a large cave. They instantly knew someone was living there, for the land around it was cleared and a saddled horse was lazily eating grass near it. Gwaine felt hope swell in his chest, but he forced it down in fear of disappointment.