Chapter 2

Gracely's POV

Garroth lunged forward, so I sidestepped, leaving him on the ground. I turned towards him and he leapt up and faced me. Then it was my turn, I whipped my sword forward, where I met his sword and we fought for a few minutes before I hit his sword just so that his flew out of his hand.

"Well, looks like you won," Garroth said smiling, "So does that prove your point?"

"Not quite," I said.

Then I lunged forward, catching him by surprise, and I grabbed his wrist. I put my sword to his wrist and cut him slightly.

"What are you doing?" a woman with blue hair said.

I drew blood, and saw that it was red.

"Okay, we're good," I said, wiping my sword off and putting it back in it's scabbard.

"What did you do that for?" the other woman asked, she had black hair.

"I was just making sure that he wasn't on Zane's side," I replied.

"How can you tell by blood?" Garroth asked.

"Zane's blood is black, indicating that he is bad. Your's is red, so that means your good," I said, shrugging.

"Well, are we gonna get back to the village or what?" the unidentified man said.

Yes, we should, let me grab something and then we should be on our way," I said.

Then I leapt into my tree, grabbed my amulet, shoved it into one of my pockets, and went back down.

"Ready?" I asked.

"Yes, let's go," Laurence said.

Then we all headed back to the village.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When we got to the village, we went into the black haired woman's house. We all either sat down or stood against the walls.

"Okay, so let's introduce ourselves. I'm Aphmau, but you can call me Aph," the black haired woman said.

"I'm Katelyn," the blue haired woman said.

"The name's Garroth," Garroth said, causing everyone to laugh.

"I'm Travis," Travis said.

"And I'm Laurence," Laurence said.

"My name is Aaron," the unidentified man said.

"My nickname's Gray," I said.

"Why won't you tell us your real name?" Aphmau asked.

"I don't fully trust you yet," I explained, "A long time ago, some things happened to me and it made me not trust people until proven otherwise."

"That makes sense," Katelyn said, "We hope that we can earn your trust."

"Can you please tell us why and how you got here and what you are here to do?" Aaron asked.

"Okay, it'll be easier to explain if I just told you the story of my life," I said, "So a decade ago, when I was 7, I ran away from my home in the village of Olira. My parents were very abusive. My father was the Lord of the village, and going to hand down his power to my older sister. She didn't want it, and expressed that, but that just made my parents beat her more. I barely got beat because my sister took it all for me. But she killed herself to get our parents off her case. So they blamed me for her death and since I was 5 they beat me. I ran away two years after the beatings first started. My parents didn't have any other children that I know of. Their probably dead by now," I shrugged, moving on,

"A year after I ran away, I found Garroth's camp, and waited for him to come back so that I could possibly make a friend. I kept my identity hidden so that if he was looking for me to bring me home, he wouldn't know it was me. But soon I found out that he wasn't there to take me home. He was just a traveler, going on a quest, and was going to return to the village Phoenix Drop when he finished. He offered me to go along with him, but I refused. I was only 8 at the time and didn't fully trust him. So instead he invited me to come visit his village and left.

"So then I continued on my journey, looking for Phoenix Drop on the way, and this lead me to meet Harmon. Harmon said that he was from Phoenix Drop, and that he would help me get there. I trusted him, and he instead took me to a cave. It took us a year to get to the cave, and by then I was suspicious. In the cave, we found the demon Kelson, and he was with him. When Kelson tried to kill me, I dove behind Harmon, and Kelson killed him instead. When Kelson killed Harmon, he broke an oath. Harmon and Kelson had made an oath to never harm each other, and if they did it was punishable by a slow death.

"So I stayed in the cave for another 6 months and watched Kelson slowly die. Kelson had trapped me there with his magic, but when he died, the magic disappeared. And when I was released, I continued on my journey. 6 years later, I found Zane. He was looking at something, the object was black, and then he saw me. He drew his sword and asked me what I was doing here.

"I said that I was heading home, and he thrust his sword at me and told me that he didn't trust me. I then drew my sword and we went into battle. I told him my name was Gray and he told me that his name was Zane. I was beaten up by the time we finished, and I had drawn some of his blood, and saw that it was black. I figured out that him and Garroth were brothers, and I knew that I had to steal whatever he was looking at when I found him. I made him get away from the object, and I took it before running off. Before I was out of distance, he threw his sword at me and impaled me in the back. I took his sword out of my back, and I climbed up a tree and kept going.

"I finally stopped when dusk had reached me, and I fell asleep in a tree. I continued traveling until I found this village, and I took camp in the trees near here. I didn't know if I was welcome, as I usually wasn't anywhere. Every time I tried to go into a village, they always kicked me out, saying that I had some forbidden magic, whatever that means. That's honestly how the abuse started. My parents said that I had forbidden magic, and would only keep me around if I didn't use it. I had no idea what they were talking about, and I kept accidentally using it. That's the real reason I ran away. They send guards looking for me, saying that I was too dangerous to be out in the wild. But I escaped them, and so here I am now," I finished.

"So, this amulet, do you have it? And did it do anything on your journey here?" Aphmau asked curiously.

"Yes, it changed colors, it's now a light orange to a light blue ombre from black. I-I think it claimed me," I said, making the room fall silent.

After a while, Katelyn asked,

"Does the amulet have any powers?"

"If I tell you this, you may only tell your closest friends, no one else," I warned. When they all nodded, I continued, "This amulet, people can use it to lock me inside, and let me out. All I know currently, is that I have at least one power, and that it is activated through music. The amulet can be used against me, but I can use it to my advantage as well."

"Wow," Laurence remarked.

"Well, you should know that I am the Lord of Phoenix Drop, and that you will be staying at Garroth's place for the night," Aphmau said.

"Thank you, Lad-Lord Aphmau. You have been too generous to me," I replied, getting up. Everyone followed me to the door, and bid me good night. Then, they either left, or returned inside. I started walking out, but soon stopped, waiting for Garroth.

"Well, you ready, Gray?" Garroth asked.

"Sure, let's go," I said.

We headed to Garroth's place, and I slept on his couch while he slept in his bed. Before I fell asleep, I thought, I really need to tell them my real name soon, it's getting really annoying for them to keep calling me Gray. With that thought, I fell asleep.

(Word count: 1425)