Coffee & Bread

The room was dark, only lit by a phone that laid in a pool of blood

The room was dark, only lit by a phone that laid in a pool of blood. The child could only gaze in disbelief in what she witnessed.

Please wake up from this nightmare.

She calls for her parents, but there is no response from the motionless bodies that rest in a puddle of red. A shadow creeps slowly to the girl. She couldn't move, as if she was petrified in place, frozen in terror. She tries to call for help, but her voice refuses to comply. The shadow stops and slowly turns to her. All she could see was the lifeless stare from the eyes of a pigeon's head...

HeeJin abruptly wakes up in a cold sweat, her panting breath echoed in the dark bedroom. Ugh, that horrid dream again she thought to herself.

She had this dream too often, but no matter how many times she's had it, she could never stop herself from trembling in fear. The girl finally decided to collect herself, as if it was part of her morning routine, shutting her eyes as she consciously took slow deep breaths. She reluctantly grabs her phone from her bedside table and checks the date.

"Of course,'' she sighed, this dream only becomes this vivid on this day, the day her parents were murdered.

~ ~ ~

"Good morning Mr. Jaden"

Jaden nods to his personal bodyguard as he enters the penthouse living room, "So who are the candidates you have selected?"

"Sir, I have handpicked the best from our agency according to your requirements."

Jaden grabbed the files and sat down in his favorite chair that overlooked the city skyline. He sifted through the paperwork and carefully went over each detail of the documents.

"Good morning father." As HeeJin shuffled in and sat on the couch in front of her father.

"Oh, HeeJin, you are up early." Jaden was startled from his daughter's sudden appearance.

HeeJin rubbed her temples and responded, "I had trouble sleeping, so I figured I would have a head start today."

Jaden concerningly looked at her, "Are you still having those dreams?"

The girl shifted her eyes from her father and looked around for anything to change the subject. She spotted the files in her father's hands. "Do you have more meetings today? You seem like you have been busy."

He already knew the answer to his question, he let out a sigh and continued with the conversation. "Oh, this? Well, I am thinking about hiring a personal bodyguard for you."

"What do you mean? I already have guards that escort me."

"Well this is different, they will be by your side even at school and wherever you go."