•1• ZOEY

Zoey

Zoey

"Are you sure you'll be okay, Zoey?"  My mom asked for the millionth time as she stood in the doorway. 

"I'll be perfectly fine,"  I assured her.  "I promise." 

"You'll call me if you need anything, and I mean anything, right?"  She looked at me for more assurance.

"Of course.  Now get going before you miss your flight." 

"I love you," she placed a small kiss on my forehead after hugging me and began to jog to the cab my dad was already waiting in. 

I waved goodbye to the both of them as the cab pulled out of the driveway.

Alone alas. 

My parents were going on a business trip to Texas for a week and a half.  They insisted on me staying with my grandparents, but I wanted to stay home so Camila, or Mila as I call her, my best friend, could come over and we'd just have the whole place to ourselves. 

Of course, this took months worth of convincing.  I told them I'd be moving out in a year or two for college, so maybe it'd be good for me to see what it's like to be on my own.  Telling them that Mila would be with me a lot of the nights also helped put them at ease. 

I spun around on my toes to face Mila, who sat on the couch behind me, and did a weird little dance, making her laugh. 

"Well, whats first on the agenda mah lady?"  I questioned with a wink as I pulled myself up on the counter. 

"Microwave s'mores?"  Mila squealed as she ran to the pantry and pulled out all the supplies to make s'mores. 

I know, we have a house completely to ourselves and this is how we choose to spend it.  We're kind of losers. 

After going through what felt like a hundred s'mores, we sat on my bed with our infamous notebook in the middle of us. 

"Oh my gosh, look at Derek.  He was so cute back then!"  Mila chirped as she pointed to a picture of our friend Derek we had glued to a page of the notebook. 

The notebook was where we put literally every piece of our friendship.  Everything from secrets, to crushes, to inside jokes got written down and random pictures were glued in places. 

"I know," I agreed with a laugh.  "Too bad he's a totally weirdo now." 

"Oh, he is not."  Mila disagreed with me almost too quickly.  "I think he's a nice dude." 

I began to giggle as I wiggled my brows up and down at my best friend, who so clearly had a crush on my other friend. 

"A nice dude, huh?"  I teased her.  "If he's such a 'nice dude' why don't ya marry him?" 

"Do you have a death wish?"  Mila groaned jokingly as she quickly flipped the page in the notebook. 

Next was a picture of what most would classify as the 'bad boy' of the school.  Beneath his picture, which was cut out of my seventh grade yearbook, was his name. In my terrible handwriting it read 'Owen Dean Price', and of course, I dotted the 'I' with a heart.