•4• ZOEY

Zoey

Zoey

I pressed down on Owens wound, remembering the more pressure the better. I remained like this for a solid minute, shaking uncontrollably and getting blood all over myself.

Then something occurred to me; was this boy even alive? Letting go of the towel with one hand and pressing my fingers to his neck, I attempted to check his pulse. It took a moment, but after feeling around for a few seconds with my bloody fingers, I finally found it. I sighed with relief when I felt a beat, but was no less panicked when I realized how unrealistically slow it was. He was going to die if I didn't call for someone.

I quickly reached for my phone in my pocket, still pressing down on the towel with my other hand. After dialing 9-1-1 I pressed the phone to my ear. That's when I felt a cold hand grasp my arm, causing me to look down. Owen was staring up at me with pleading eyes, one hand trying to pull the phone away from my ear, but was too weak.

"9-1-1, what's your emergency?" The operator answered.

"Uhm," My voice shook, not even sure what to say. "There's a boy at my house, he was stabbed. He showed up here a while ago and wouldn't let me call the police, but he's passed out now and I think he's dying."

I swallowed hard, genuinely concerned about Owen.

"What's the address ma'am?" The operator question, remaining calm.

"5674 Rockwell Street, Mildred, IL." I recited my address I know by heart.

"Dispatch is on their way, hang tight and remember to keep pressure on the wound until help arrives." The woman spoke confidently.

I pressed down harder on Owens stomach wound, hoping I wasn't hurting him too much. Looking up at his face, I think he passed out again.

Unconscious, Owen didn't look as intimidating and mean and like the bad guy everyone makes him out to be.  Instead, he looked peaceful.  Well, other than the fact that he was covered in blood that is. 

It wasn't even 5 minutes before I heard police sirens and a knock at my door. 

I quickly shot up from my spot on the floor and opened the door. There were three firemen on the other side waiting for entrance. 

"He's over there, I think he's dying."  I panicked, pointing to Owen as I stepped aside to let then in. 

"Everything will be okay ma'am."  One of them stated as he gently placed a hand on the small of my back and directed me outside.  "The police have a few questions for you in the meantime and we'll take care of him until the ambulance arrives." 

Just then a few officers approached me and another few went in the house.  This was such a mess.  I hope he's okay. 

"I'm officer Benson, what's your name ma'am?"  One of the officers questioned as the fireman went back inside. 

"Zoey Tucker."  I know they only asked my name, but everything just kind of came flooding out of my mouth due to panic. "The boys name is Owen Price. He told me he was stabbed by some people that murdered his father this morning and said I couldn't call 9-1-1."

"Calm down, everything will be okay." Officer Benson assured me. "What's your relation to him?"

"Uh," I started. What even was my relation to him?  "He goes to my school, I don't really know him all that well though." 

I don't remember much after that until some time later when Owen Price was being wheeled out of my house on a gurney.  One paramedic was pumping an oxygen mask thing and another was wheeling the bed to the ambulance. 

God I hoped he'd be okay.

It was around 4:30 when all the emergency vehicles had cleared out except the police.

"If there's anyone you'd like us to call for you, just let us know."  Officer Benson explained.  "I don't think you should be home alone after an incident like this."

"I think I'll just call my brother and have him stay with me until my parents get back." I explained to the men.

I insisted they didn't have to stay until Toby got here, but to be quite honest, I was glad they did. When he arrived, they all finally cleared out and we went inside.

"Are you okay?!" Was the first thing Toby said to me. "Are you hurt?"

"I'm fine, Toby." I assured my brother. "Just kinda shaken up."

"I'm sorry." He apologized as he engulfed me in a hug.

I missed my big brother. Sure, we fought a lot, but I hadn't seen him in a while since he moved out and I missed him.

"There was so much blood..." I shuttered at the thought of it. I hate blood. It makes me queazy. "I just hope he's okay."

"I'm sure he will be." Toby suggested sympathetically. "Do mom and dad know yet?"

My eyes widened, shaking my head no viciously.

"They can't. At least not yet." I convinced him. "They'd freak out and come home immediately if they knew I just had some guy almost just die in our home because he was stabbed and his father was murdered. Just let them enjoy their trip while they can."

Toby simply sighed and shrugged his body in the couch. My mind then began to wonder.

The police officers and firemen cleaned the blood up for me, thank the lord. I probably would have passed out.

I wonder what happened that got Owen into this mess anyways? Who stabbed him and why? And why was his father also a target? Had his family done something to make someone angry?

And what would have happened if I hadn't been awake to answer the door? Would he have bled to death on our front porch and I'd find him there in the morning? Or would he move on to the next house over?

A million questions ran through my mind and suddenly, I felt a tear prick my eye. Was I really about to cry? I mean sure, the whole thing was pretty freaky, but it's not like I had any place to cry. I wasn't the one who's parent was killed and was almost stabbed to death later on. It felt selfish and weird to have an urge to cry, but it happened anyway. I felt so overwhelmed.

Any normal siblings would talk about their feelings with each other, but not Toby and I. We didn't talk about any feelings ever. I think it had something to do with the fact that we both felt too much of them.

~~~~~

Hey guys, as always, thank you so much for reading, I appreciate every one of you!  Don't forget to vote/comment if you enjoyed it(;

Hey guys, as always, thank you so much for reading, I appreciate every one of you! Don't forget to vote/comment if you enjoyed it(;

This chapter felt boring to me, but was also needed, so I apologize for that. After this the story should feel like it's actually starting. These few chapters were honestly a bit of a prologue, if that makes sense?