•2• ZOEY

Zoey

Zoey

After downing my mountain of pancakes that Mila didn't think I was capable of eating, I decided to take a shower.  By the time I got done it was around 2:30 in the afternoon and I had no idea what we were gonna do for the rest of the day. 

After getting dressed I skipped down the stairs and into the living room where Mila was perched on the couch watching the news.

"The news?" I snorted.  "Are you 90?" 

Mila clapped a hand over my mouth, telling me to shut up as she pointed at the TV.  I did as she wanted and gave my attention to the news lady. 

"A man was shot on his way to work this morning at approximately 8 am. His identity is not yet being released and they do not currently have a suspect in custody, but they believe it was a gang related crime.  Tune in tonight at 10 for more updates on the situation." 

"FAKE NEWS!" I belted out obnoxiously as the news lady finished talking.

"How is it fake news? A man was shot." Mila questioned.

I adjusted myself into a laying position on the couch before speaking. "Because there's no gangs in this town. Maybe he did get shot, but it definitely wasn't gang related. They're just trying to scare us I'll bet."

"I suppose you're right," she admitted with a shrug. "I've never heard of gangs in Mildred anyways."

Our town was average sized and pretty low key.  There was less crime here than in the other neighborhoods around us.  We were lucky, considering we were located about two hours outside of Chicago.  Anyone who lived here could tell you it's as safe as a city gets - which by all means, didn't mean much nowadays.

Just then, a phone ringing interrupted our conversation.

"It's my sister." Mila groaned before accepting the call. "Hello?"

I couldn't hear exactly what her sister, Luciana, was saying, but her tone of voice sounded angry. Deciding against eavesdropping on their call, I decided to go grab the notebook from upstairs so we could add to it.

When I came back downstairs Mila was no longer on the phone, and was digging through her purse on the kitchen counter.

"So I thought maybe we could add to the notebook." I suggested, wiggling my eyebrows at my best friend.

"As much as I'd love to, I can't." Mila stated as she stood up straight, holding her car keys. "Luci called and apparently we're going to visit my aunt in Chicago and staying the night."

My face dropped into a frown, feeling very disappointed.

"Noooo." I pouted, placing the notebook on the kitchen counter. "This was supposed to be our week of fun."

"I know, I know." Mila whined in return. "I'll make it up to you, I promise. Besides, I'll be back by tomorrow."

I frowned even bigger as she threw her purse over her shoulder and began to put on her shoes.

"I'm gonna get scared as heck staying here alone." I realized aloud.

"Call Toby, I'm sure he'd stay with you." Mila suggested as she opened the front door. "I gotta go, bye Zoe."

"Bye." I responded dully before she walked out and closed the door, leaving me alone with my thoughts.

Tonight was going to suck.

Sure, maybe I could call Toby, but I won't. He'd make fun of me to no end. Toby is my older brother... well, half brother that is. We have the same dad.  He's 20 and I'm 18. 

I let out a huff before trudging over to the couch and slouching down on it.  Watching The Office all night it is.

As the day went on, I got very bored and decided to take a nap. This was mistake. I didn't wake up until 11 pm and knew there would be no hope of me falling back asleep.

Now I had to find a way to entertain myself, so I took a shower, jamming to early 2000's hits the entire time.  As I stepped out of the warm shower, coldness embraced my body, sending shivers down my spine.  I hugged myself as I hummed "Clumsy" by Fergie. 

"Clumsy cause I'm fallin' in looooove." I sung terribly as I walked into my room to change with a towel wrapped tightly around my body. 

I threw on a pair of pink pajama shorts and a white tank top.  This was my favorite tank top because it was super soft and cute.

Soon enough the time was rolling around to about 1:45 am and I still was not the least bit tired. If anything, I was beginning to get scared. I hated being home alone at night. I decided I'd go back downstairs to make some food and listen to my music to distract myself.

I made myself a delicious serving of Mac-n-cheese and danced around the kitchen to my music as I ate it. I looked ridiculous, but it's not like anyone could see me, so I didn't really care.

As I went to do a weird little fist pump to the song 'Yeah!' by Usher, my Mac-N-Cheese slipped out of my hand and went flying all over the place, leaving me with nothing but a fork in hand. 

I let out a deep groan before setting my fork on the counter and cleaning up the mess, still humming the song. 

Just as I finished cleaning up, there was a loud and sudden knock on the front door just 5 feet in front of me.  I froze in my tracks.

Who would be knocking on my door at this hour? I began to panic and reached for my phone, about to call Toby when there was another knock.

Deciding against risking the person that was knocking hearing me and knowing I'm here, I set my phone on the counter, paused my music, and went to investigate. I tip toed to the door and got on my toes to look out the peak hole. I saw nothing. Maybe I was just hearing things.

Then it hit me; it was probably Mila or Toby just trying to scare me.  I rolled my eyes out of annoyance and swung open the door expecting to see one of the two.  What I actually saw was not even close to that.

There was a man sitting against the side of the house beside the front door.  This scared me, causing me to swing the door shut again.  Well, tried that is. 

The man stuck his hand against the door and pushed it open against my weight, rendering me helpless and weak. 

"Help," He choked out.

~~~~~

Okay okay, Ik you're probably thinking 'well that went into the story quickly' buttttt I wanted to start it here because I felt like Night Terrors started off slow, so why not just jump right into the action?  If people don't like this, I will tot...

Okay okay, Ik you're probably thinking 'well that went into the story quickly' buttttt I wanted to start it here because I felt like Night Terrors started off slow, so why not just jump right into the action? If people don't like this, I will totally go in and add more to the beginning, but I think everything will roll along smoothly and shouldn't move too fast.

Don't forget to vote and comment if you enjoyed it, and as always, thank you soooo much for reading!(: