•7• ZOEY

Zoey

"Who was it, Zoey?"  Toby and Macy currently embraced me as I sat on my bedroom floor in tears.  "Did they say anything?"

I shook my head no, still traumatized from what I just saw. 

"I don't know!" I exclaimed out of frustration.  "They were just standing there in a black hoodie and skii mask.  All I could see was their eyes." 

A few more tears slipped down my cheeks as I wiped my nose on the shoulder of my shirt. 

It was true, I had no idea who I saw.  All I know is that I walked upstairs from talking to Toby and when I turned back around from closing my door there was a person sitting in the tree outside my window wearing all black.  After I screamed they just hopped down and ran off.  I have no idea who they were or how long they'd been there, but it was terrifying.  I was still shaking. 

"Are you sure you weren't just being paranoid?"  Macy tried to be the voice of reason as she rubbed my back.  "Sometimes our minds like to play tricks on us when were scared."

"I know what I saw guys.  It was real."  I pouted as I stared at my window, not wanting to take my eyes away in case they came back. 

Toby quickly got up and checked the locks on my window before pulling it shut.  I couldn't tell if he believed me or not, but he was taking precautions regardless. 

"You guys stay here, I'm gonna go check it out, otherwise I'm gonna be on edge all night."  He stated as he walked out of my room and closed the door behind him. 

He was being naïve, and so was Macy.  Someone was watching me through my window and I know it.  I wasn't crazy and it definitely wasn't just my mind playing tricks on me. 

"Be careful!" I yelled out to Toby, even though he probably couldn't hear me. 

What if whoever that was had something to do with the phone call I received earlier that night?  Whoever it was told me that someone was coming.  Whether it was a threat or warning though, I wasn't sure.  All I knew was that I was terrified for my life and Toby needed to be careful just running outside after I saw something like that. 

"I'm not crazy, Macy."  I stated as I looked at her.  "I really did see someone."

"I believe you," She told me as she stood up and sat on the bed.  "I just don't wanna think about that, it gives me the creeps.  What if they were watching me sleep?"

A few minutes went by before Toby returned with his pillow and blanket, making himself a bed on my floor. 

"We're staying in the same room tonight, no debate."  He stated as he sat down, causing me to get up.  "I'd call the cops, but I mean, what could they do?  Whoever it was is long gone by now." 

It was pretty late before any of us fell asleep.

The next day we all huddled up on the couch to see if there were any updates on the Owen situation on the news.

"The resident of the home Price was escorted to the hospital from us still choosing not to speak with us." The news lady stated.  "But here's what we know so far;  the violent attack was in fact gang related and is linked to the murder of the father.  We have word that Price is up and doing well and may be released as soon as tomorrow." 

Why do they think all of this is gang related?  And why would Owen even be the target of a gang?  It didn't make sense to me. 

I began to wonder what he'd think if he knew how much the news was talking about him.  I just knew I didn't want to be the one with his name in my mouth on live television.  Not now and not ever.  As attractive as he was, he'd probably punch me through a wall if I went around spreading his business.

"All I hear is gangs, gangs, gangs," Macy scoffed from beside me. "When we all know there are none in Mildred. They're trying to push some sort of stupid agenda or something."

A few days I might have agreed with her, but I wasn't so sure now. Not after I saw the guy I have a crush on nearly bleed to death on my kitchen floor from getting stabbed, and especially not after seeing someone stalk me through my bedroom window.

These past few days have been weird and chaotic, to say the least.

"Well somethings going on, whether it's gang related or not." Toby threw in his two cents.

Deciding I didn't care much to be apart of the conversation, I got up and made my way to the kitchen to pour myself a glass of water. 

Just as I began to reach into the cupboard for a cup, my phone began to ring.  I froze when I read the caller ID.  It was restricted, the same as yesterday. 

I stared at the phone for a moment before quietly answering, "hello?"

Just the same as last time, whoever was on the other line said nothing for a seconds before finally speaking. 

"They'll come again tonight."  They warned, sending chills down my spine as I recalled the person in my window from the previous night. 

I gulped, feeling speechless.  Was this person trying to warn me or threaten me?  I wasn't sure what to think, but the thought of someone watching me again tonight unsettled me. 

"Who?" I choked out, turning my back to Toby and Macy in hopes that they weren't listening to me. 

Again, there was silence.  But they were still there, the line wasn't dead yet.  I could hear them breathing heavily on the other end. 

"Just stay inside."  Was all they were willing to say.  Not even a hint. 

"Who is this?" I abruptly asked, my voice getting a little louder as I shook. 

And that was it, the line went dead. 

My hand shook as I lowered my phone from my ear, knowing now that whoever this was obviously knew something. 

"Who was that?"  Toby questioned as he turned off the TV. 

Somehow, deep down, I thought that if they knew the situation then they'd be getting these threats or whatever too, so it was best to leave them out of it.  I'd just make sure they stayed safe as well. 

"No one."

~~~~~
AUTHORS NOTE
As always, thank you all so much for reading, and don't forget to vote and/or comment!(;

So who do you guys think the restricted caller is?

Who's side are you on, are there gangs in Mildred or not?

What do you all think so far?