Seeking Shelter

Warming Hearts

A/N: Here we go with Chapter 4 of this story, where we meet a few more characters, most of them who may seem familiar. Roll it!

Chapter 4

Seeking Shelter

After finding Delia waiting at a small local restaurant, and having another nice and relaxing dinner that night, Ash and Pikachu soon followed her to the Pokémon Center, where they will spend their nights until they found a new and permanent place.

As they were preparing for bed, Delia spoke to her son. "Mimey and I will be leaving in the morning to meet some real estate agents. Just south of Lake Acuity."

"So soon, Mom?" Ash asked. "We just got here."

"I know, honey." Delia said. "But, we'll be back the following morning."

Ash smiled faintly. "All right. Just be careful. Okay?"

His mother placed a hand on his shoulder. "Always." She assured him.

He wrapped his arms around her tightly, and she returned the gesture. Then, they went to sleep, or at least Delia and the Pokémon did.

Ash stared up at the ceiling, wondering now was he supposed to do while his mom looks for a house. True, there will be times when he could come along with her to examine some properties, but in his mind, checking out houses do sound a bit boring. Finally, after a few more minutes of staring at the plain ceiling above him, he finally fell asleep.

***********************************

The next morning, Delia had rented a jeep to meet the agents. She wrapped her yellow winter jacket against her, and she and her son shared another hug. "Remember, I'll be back tomorrow."

"I know." Ash said.

"How about you find something to do besides just staying in our room reading?" Delia poked his arm teasingly.

Ash rolled his eyes playfully. "I remember that my friend, the Snowpoint Gym Leader, Candice, teaches over at the Pokémon Trainer School when she's not at the Gym. I thought I might drop by and say hi."

"Nice idea, honey." Delia and Mr. Mime then got into the jeep and started the engine. "I love you, Ash."

Her only son waved to her as they started to drive away. "I love you too, Mom." Once they drove out of sight, after he stared at the horizon for a few extra moments, he and Pikachu headed towards the Pokémon Trainer School.

*************************

Delia drove through the dark forest, with the moon shining above her. "I know I must've taken a wrong turn somewhere." She said as a light snow started to fall from the sky. She could see her breath condensing as she talked.

"Mr. Mime?" Her Mimey asked.

"Don't worry, Mimey." Delia assured her Mr. Mime. "We'll find a place soon. Then, we'll head back. Besides, we don't want Ash to worry."

"Mr. Mime!" He agreed in his language.

Suddenly, they both heard low growling that sent shivers down their spines. Delia stopped the jeep to scan the area. Glowing red eyes then appeared, pair by pair, circling the jeep. Mr. Mime clutched her arm as Delia re-started the engine. A pack of Mightyena then came out of the snowy forest and began chasing them, growling.

Delia saw a clear path up ahead and took it. She looked back and saw the Mightyena slowly stopping, growling warily. Whatever was up this path, they'd rather avoid it. Maybe something even more terrifying than them.