A New and Happy Beginning Part Two

Warming Hearts

A/N: Here's Part Two of the final chapter!

Chapter 25

A New and Happy Beginning

Part Two

After the ball had ended late into the night, Ash bade goodnight to Dawn and went down to the phone. He had eventually found out where Serena was staying in Hoenn from Clemont and Bonnie, and called her. She was delighted but surprised to see him, her face flushed red. Ash felt a nervous prick in his chest, knowing that his suspicions were correct about her still having deep feelings for him. As he told her of the news of him getting married to Dawn, a hurtful look came over her face. Ash quickly explained why he was telling her this, that it would be better for her if she heard of his engagement from him and not from anyone else.

At first, Serena admitted that she still hoped that Ash would give her a chance when they would cross paths again. Ash told her regretfully that even if he did, neither of them would be happy in a relationship that was doomed to fail because of their many differences, since he was a free spirit who thinks of little else except Pokémon and she was more rooted to the ground with too grand expectations of him.

Then she asked him if she even had a chance with him in the first place. Slowly, Ash shook his head, saying that even if things had turned out differently between them and they'd stayed in touch with each other as children, he would have never seen her as anything more than a friend. Never at any point in their lives did he ever love her like how she loved him. He told her that real love has to be felt by both people, not just with a one-sided affection. What she felt for him wasn't real love, it was just mindless infatuation.

Serena wiped away some stray tears from her face, but there was a smile on her face. She told him that if he's happy with his decision to stay committed to Dawn, then she'll support him. Ash felt so relieved, grateful that she understood. Then the two bade each other goodnight before hanging up and Ash went to his own chambers to get some rest before the big day.

*******************************

In the morning, right after breakfast, Ash and Dawn were packing up to get ready to leave. Ash was dressed in a new outfit that his mother had made for him. He was wearing a jacket similar to his original Sinnoh one, except it had the League logo on the left side of his chest and a yellow zipper on the front and stripes on the top and bottom of the main white stripe, along with little pockets. The white shirt underneath it had two navy blue stripes on the sleeves. He also had dark blue cargo pants on and navy and gray sneakers with white sections. On his head was a new hat that was red and black with a white Poké Ball design on the front, and his hands were clad with black fingerless gloves with navy trim.

Ash finished packing up his backpack, zipped it up and put it on his back. Pikachu then jumped onto his usual spot on his Trainer's shoulder. "You ready, Pikachu?" He asked his partner.

The Electric type chirped an agreement, pumping his fist, making Ash smile. "Great." He said. "Let's go and meet Dawn."

He hurried down the stairs where his mother was waiting with Dawn and Salvia. His breath almost got caught in his throat when he saw his fiancée. She was wearing a sleeveless pink vest with pockets, a yellow zipper, and stripes over a simple gray tank top. A frilled brown skirt with a pink hem down to her thighs, knee-length brown socks, and tall brown boots with white laces and pink soles. Her hair was pulled up into a ponytail with two long strands of hair framing her face. She was fiddling around with the strap of her yellow sling bag, and then her engagement ring on her left ring finger.