Defend the Castle

Warming Hearts

A/N: Okay, here we go, with the famous castle battle scene, with a Pokémon twist to it. Hope y'all enjoy! Now, let's roll it!

Chapter 22

Defend the Castle

Ash was struggling to try and break through the thick glass of the containment unit. But all he was getting was a sore shoulder and most likely getting some bruises. Pikachu was trying his very best as well, trying from Quick Attack to Iron Tail to try and make the glass crack, but to no avail. Talonflame knew that he couldn't use any of his Fire attacks unless he wanted to risk broiling the others alive. So he just kept on tackling the thick glass, trying to make it break. But there was not even a scratch.

Delia was watching with concern and curiosity as her son got back onto his feet after failing for the thirtieth time, clutching his left shoulder, gritting his teeth from the pain. "I have to get back there," He kept telling himself. "And warn Dawn!"

"Warn her?" Delia asked with confusion, stopping him from another charge. "How did you get away from her?"

Ash came over to his mother, taking her hand in his. "She let me go, Mom." He said. "She sent me back to save you."

Delia's eyes were wide. That beast actually released her son out of her free will? So that he could come to her rescue? "I... I don't understand." She said.

Ash could sense that his mother was still reluctant to accept that Dawn had changed for the better, so he decided to show her something. He reached into his tunic pocket and pulled out the letter that his father had written for him. He then handed it carefully to her.

Delia took the letter and saw that Ash's name was written faintly on the front flap. She looked up at him and her son nodded his head, saying that it was okay for her to read it. She then unfolded the letter and began to read. As she did so, tears began welling up in her eyes. When she was done, she sniffed and wiped away a few stray tears before they could fall on the fragile paper.

"Where... where did you get this?" She asked.

"She took me there." Ash said. "She showed me Pallet Town. Our home." Delia bit back the lump in her throat as he said the next words. "I know what happened to Dad."

"Then you know why he had to leave." Delia said. "We had to protect you. We always tried to protect our little boy." Ash smiled at her lovingly as only a son would to his mother. "Maybe a little too much. I never told you much about him, and yet, you are like him in so many ways."

"I know." Ash said. "He gave you a second chance, just like how I gave one to Dawn."

"But that's not the only reason why you're special." Delia continued. "You never give up on anyone or anything."

"Some people might think of that as stubbornness." Ash said.

"I call it tenacity." Delia said, placing her hand on his cheek. "And you won't give up until you have done the right thing. Only you can have the power to change minds and hearts, by changing perspective. That is what makes you you, and why you are so special in the eyes of so many people."

Ash smiled as he leaned into his mother's touch. "Thanks, Mom. Now, will you help me?"

"It's gonna be dangerous." Delia said.

Her son's smirk turned a little cheeky. "Have you met me? I practically live for danger."

Normally, Delia would get worried when she recalled the many situations that Ash had found himself in. But seeing that he wasn't going to back down, she smiled. "All right." She said, standing up.