02

CHAPTER TWO —
                      DIAMOND.

____________________________

SAIJŌ CLAUDINE IS a star. She always was in Maya's heart. From the first time she had seen the half-French perform Arrie, she had placed Claudine on a pedestal, made her the reason that Maya chased the stage so diligently, so relentlessly.

And that fact hasn't changed. Saijō Claudine will always be a star in Maya's eyes.

Just that, this time, Tendō Maya didn't have anything left for the stage. Her brilliance had long burnt out.

"Tendō-buchou," Yuyuko leans onto her table, as sleepy as she always was. Her eyes gloss over Maya's organised mess of a desk, and then fixes on the captain herself. "I heard you're going on leave for a week."

"That's right, Tanaka-san," Maya says dismissively, closing a file and looking up into her brown irises. "Where's the boy?"

"There," Yuyuko yawns, pointing out the open office door, where the detention room sat across the hallway, separated from the captain's office by the different stations the rest of the members of Ghost Patrol worked at.

"Thank you," Maya stands up, and Yuyuko glances lazily up at her, watching her captain gracefully leave and make her way to the detention room.

Tamao is waiting for Yuyuko when she steps out the office door, a questioning look playing on her face as Yuyuko bows slightly in greeting.

"Tendō-buchou has been acting odd these past few days," Tamao points out quietly, and Yuyuko straightens.

"Maybe," the other woman drawls.

"I mean–" Tamao gestures towards the detention room. "–she's even more stoic than she usually is."

"She's always been like that," Rui says, joining the pair by the office, and Tamao smiles softly at the sight of her girlfriend. "I'm not in the least bit surprised."

"Don't say that!" Ichie pops up next to the taller brunette, a wide smile on her face as she hands Rui a couple of candy drops. "She's probably stressing out over something completely unnecessary again."

"Yeah," Tamao frowns. Maya always seemed so far away; she was a nice person, sure, but you never know if the woman was merely acting or was truly genuine with her actions. No one could ever tell.

"Anyway," Fumi interrupts, brushing her long light-blonde hair into a ponytail. "Have y'all heard about that new remake of Starlight? The one Saijō Claudine's starring in?"

"Oh my gosh," Ichie starts fangirling almost immediately, jumping up and down on the spot as if to add to her overwhelming enthusiasm in the morning. "She's amazing, I tell you! And she's so pretty too~"

The others nod in mutual agreement. The actress had hit it big a few years back, and had been going strong since. Most major plays, movies, and television dramas starred the half-French beauty, and she shone — no matter if she was in the main cast or not.

"Why, I do agree,"

The small group all shift their gazes simultaneously to spot the commissioner general grinning like a Chesire cat, with the superintendent general by her side.