25

CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE —
HUMAN.

________________________

MAYA'S SMILE LINGERED like a ghost at the back of her mind; she could still taste her wonder and feel her warmth even after those two weeks. Claudine saw many sides of her that day — particularly the part of her that was still a kid at heart — and though she had seen it quite a few times back at Seisho, and a few times during her Starlight tour, it had disappeared as quickly as it had poked its nose out.

And how was she going to propose the idea?

And...that other thing.

Claudine scrunches her nose and takes a sip of her coffee. Don't think about now. Just don't.

Futaba was taking quite some time. Claudine taps away at her phone, scrolling through the daily news, including those that announced Nelke's entire scandal, her finding a new manager (Kanō Misora, Aruru's best friend and manager as well), and Nana's rumoured movie, Rondo Rondo Rondo.

A lot had happened these past few months. How long had it even been? Her days had been slipping through her fingers at an alarming fast pace now that her life was, well, basically Maya.

When the officer left for work early in the morning, Claudine either spent her day at home (since when had she started calling it that?) or with friends (Futaba whenever she was free, Yachiyo, Aruru, or Juuna). She cringes at the thought that she was potentially wriggled into a position of a housewife against her will.

But...why was she doing all this? Does she love Maya?

...does she?

"Hey, Kuroko!" A familiar sharp and deep voice interrupts the tirade of thoughts that were beginning to flood her mind.

Claudine snaps up from her cup of coffee and her plate of pie, her gaze landing on Futaba, who had her hands in the pocket of her jeans shorts and her body in a casual hoodie. "Oh, Futaba. What kept you?"

Futaba waves her hand, sighing, and settles into the chair opposite Claudine, dumping her helmet on the floor. "The usual. Kaoruko was makin' a fuss about gettin' up for work without me, about not gettin' a ride an' stuff. I had to drop her off. Sorry."

"Small matter," Claudine dismisses it casually, raising her hand for a waitress. "It's Kaoruko. I'm not really surprised."

Once Futaba places her order, she turns back to Claudine. "So...how's Tendō?"

Of course that had to be the first thing she'd ask.

Claudine sips her coffee, trying to keep her voice as steady as she could. "She's working for you."

"That's not what I meant. And technically, she works for Kaoruko." Futaba smirks and leans forward, propping her chin up on her hand. "She's just been a lot more...relaxed at work. It's surprisin'."

"Re–Really?" Claudine chokes slightly, embarrassed. But it might not have been because of Claudine, right? It could always be something else.

"And it's definitely because of ya."

Claudine wonders if Futaba had adopted some of Kaoruko's awful teasing habits after being together for so long. She picks her knife up and hovers it over her half-eaten pie. "That may not be true."