30

CHAPTER THIRTY —
TRULY HAPPY.

________________________

MAYA DIDN'T KNOW how she managed to keep herself sane throughout lunch with Claudine being so...eye-catching, for lack of a better word. Her warm touches continuously lingered on areas she knew would make Maya fidget, and her troublesome gaze drifts to Maya's lips every time Maya was prompted to speak. She knew there were better (or rather, more specific) words, but Maya, honestly, would prefer to not let her mind wander there.

She gulps rather loudly when Claudine slides unnecessarily, unnecessarily close to take a sushi roll from its platter, the sweet scent of her blonde hair pleasantly distracting her from her meal. As she settles back in her spot, Claudine catches Maya's eye and slowly pops the roll into her mouth, sending a heated look her way all the while.

Mon dieu, huh?

"Everyone!" Nana claps her hands together, and the table's attention is switched to the de facto mother figure of the 99th class. "I have an...announcement to make."

She exchanges a furtive glance with Juuna, who nods in encouragement. Maya doesn't like the feeling that has settled in her gut. She thinks, fleetingly, that she'd appreciate Claudine's unpredictable seduction attempts more than this.

"I..." Nana takes a deep breath, clearly hesitant to say what she wanted to. To relief her burden, Maya leans forward, trying to seem interested despite the churning feeling in her stomach.

Oh, and also how Claudine was definitely pressing closer to Maya than she had to.

"I took on a new project recently," Nana sends a small, appreciative smile Maya's way. "I'll have to produce a short film for Seisho's upcoming Performance Festival."

She inhales cavernously, and continues, "And since the 99th class has been one of the most — if not the most — prominent batches to attend Seisho. They would like to involve everyone here."

Maya stiffens. Claudine glances at her concernedly out the corner of her eye.

"But–" Juuna adds, her gaze shifting, subtly, to Maya, Kaoruko, Futaba, then Mahiru. She proceeds to give a reassuring nod in Nana's direction. "–it's only if you want to."

"That sounds interesting," Mahiru hums, smiling at Karen when she squeals excitedly in her stool. "I do miss acting. Please count me in!"

"Why not?" Futaba grins good-naturedly.

"I–It can't be helped then!" Kaoruko follows, her arms crossed across her chest, nose in the air. "If they want me for it..."

"Not just you."

"Futaba-han!"

Maya looks down at her lap, her thoughts bustling nosily in her mind. Truth be told, she wasn't adverse to acting just this once. In fact, she feels that it might be a fun and sentimental experience, considering that she would be surrounded by company she had undeniably missed.

But still...something's holding her back, and she knows what it is.

"Banana!" Karen raises a hand enthusiastically, as if she'd need permission to speak. "Then how about you? If you're directing the film then..."