Chapter 2: Is Restored

1908. Europe's Swan Candidacy launched on New Year's Eve. Prosperity struck years later, turning the Candidacy into a faded memory.

Fourteen years later, those memories renewed.

"Chester! Move those glasses in the back out of the way!" Norman yelled over a flurry of loud and furious, flapping wings.

"Got it!" Chester shouted back, running to the section of unaffected drinkware.

"Rick! Warren! Help me out!" Norman tried to pin the out of control swan down, Rick and Warren rushing over.

Norman's hands tried to tuck the wild swan's wings in. His fingers fumbled through the feathers of its fast, flapping wings. Rick noticed and grabbed the tips of both of its wings. He tried to force them down, pushing them and applying pressure. Warren stood up, running into the stock room with an idea manifesting.

Moments later, Warren emerged from the stock room with a long rope. Norman and Rick finally pinned the swan down.

"Wrap this around it!" Warren said.

Norman looked up at the rope. "Great thinking Warren," he rushed his words as Rick grabbed the rope, handing the other end to Norman.

The men wrapped the rope around the swan's wings as fast as they could, the swan hissing. Completely immobolized.

Norman and Rick fell back on their hands, exhausted from the unexpected chain of events. Warren joined in the exhaustion from the commotion itself. Chester walked back over to the men, wiping his hands off.

"The glasses are taken care of," he stated, proud.

"As is the swan," Warren pointed at the hissing creature, fatigued.

Norman was finally catching his breath, looking over at the wild swan. It tried to get a wing loose, pulling it up more and more. The swan's body sported red cuts and slashes, glass fragments lying everywhere. The Swan Candidacy made its way back into his mind. Norman looked over at his employees.

"Do you guys-"

The staff looked over at Norman, waiting for him to continue.

"...know what time it is? Get some rest. I'll handle things here."

"Are you sure? What if it breaks more of our orders?" Warren asked.

"I'll monitor it throughout the night," Norman reassured. "I'll rest here until morning. And men, not a word about this to anyone. This swan could be slaughtered as well."

Chester and Warren nodded, Rick looking at the swan in silence, rising to his feet.

"Goodnight, Mr. Stonelock," Chester and Warren said, all three men exiting the shoppe.

Rick locked the doors, the jingling of the keys fading away.

Norman looked over at the swan, who was still struggling to get out of its binds.

The more Norman looked at the swan, the more the Avian Candidacy of 1908 ran through his head. He kept thinking, wondering where this swan came from. How long it took for it to get here, and why this small town.

After minutes of deep meditation, Norman rose to his feet, walking over to the swan.

The swan looked up at the approaching man, hissing at a loud volume, still struggling to get its left wing free.

Norman stood in front of the swan, bending down as he lifted the large creature, much to its discontent. It made Norman aware of its anger, struggling as much as it could, boasting its vocal cords. Ignoring it, Norman headed over towards the stock room, opening the door.