Chapter 3: Is Renewed

There are many works of art all over Rlyll. Statues, portraits and landmarks stood, inanimate.

Norman and his employees now had that in common.

The young girl with arms covered in red cuts continued to eat. Her mouth stained a dark red by the bulk of dried fruit she stuffed in.

   "This door was locked...how did she get in?" Rick asked.

The men turned to look at Norman.

   "Don't even think it," Norman gritted through his teeth, enough to scare the men into believing him.

Norman went in front of the men, more confused at the scene than anyone.

   "Well, there are a lot of ongoing kidnappings in the area. Maybe she's the latest victim, and she just had to hide?" Chester theorized.

   "That...actually sounds plausible. Well done Chester," Warren joked, Chester responding with a light hit on his shoulder.

Norman bent down. "Little girl, you need to exit this stock room. This is an unauthorized area."

The young girl continued to eat, reaching for the pieces of dried fruit at the bottom of the bag. The bag that Norman left for the wild swan.

Norman tried to make conversation. "What's your name?"

The young girl grabbed hold of a dried apple, stuffing it into her mouth.

Growing annoyed, Norman reached for the bag. The young girl hissed at his hand, Norman snatching it back.

Now, he knew.

Norman's employees conversed nonstop, which was better for the young girl to avoid a scene. He looked up at his employees, looking back at the girl.

   "Was that you...last night?" Norman whispered as lowly as he could. He was not ready to throw the forgotten history of the Avian Candidacies on his employees.

The girl stared at him with glaring, piercing blue eyes, not moving an inch. After seconds of silence, she reached for the final pieces of the dried fruit.

Norman was on edge.

No longer caring, he stormed all the way in, walking behind the girl and yanking her up by her dress' collar.

Her yells caught the attention of his employees as Norman carried her with one hand. He exited the stock room with the young girl in tow.

Norman sped walked towards the shoppe's exit.

   "Is she going to the orphange?" Warren yelled after him.

   "Is that any of your business?" Norman retorted, exiting the shoppe with the shouting young girl.

He marched towards the fountain, placing the girl on the edge of it. The young girl stared daggers at him, going completely silent. It was a blessing that it was 6:33 AM. The shoppes remained unopened for now, and hardly any people passed by to hear any of her yelling.

Norman glared down at her. "Who, exactly are you."

She stared at him, seething with anger.

   "Do you know where the swan in the stock room went."

No answer. Only a stare full of malice.

   "How did you get in th-"

The young girl spat at his feet.

Pissed, Norman looked around, grabbing the girl once more by her collar. He lifted her much higher this time. "Warren had a good idea. You're going to the orpha-"

   "Let me go!"

Norman was completely caught off guard, looking at the young girl in shock.

He looked up to the sound of townspeople walking by, the time for the shoppes to open nearing. He had to avoid a commotion with this unfolding event. "We're going for a walk."

Norman walked for a few minutes down the road, still holding the girl by her collar, only she was silent now.

Finding an open, abandoned seating area, Norman dropped her on one of the seats.

Norman sat down as well, crossing his hands. The anger at the destruction of his works, at her hands, finally crept up on him.

   "You, destroyed a lot of my glasswares. You owe me amounts of payment you cannot comprehend. But all I'm asking for, is your story in return."

The young girl looked up at him, upset.

   "All you have to do, is confess. This is the bargain of a lifetime. It's a simple question," Norman sat up straight.

She stared at him.

   "Are you, the Swan Candidate."

Her staring contest seemed endless.

   "It's a simple confession."

After moments of silence, the young girl looked around. She noticed more townspeople walking by as the morning marched on.

The young girl screamed at the top of her lungs.

Townspeople nearby turned towards the scene. Norman got caught off guard once more, looking at them.

By the time he turned back to the young girl, she was gone.

A feather fell in front of him, Norman looking up to seeing a swan flying overhead.

The townspeople stared at the swan, gasping at its beauty. "Wow, I haven't seen a swan in years!" A woman cried aloud, others agreeing with her.

Norman looked at them, looking back at the flying swan in the distance.

His questions became answered.