Chapter 9: Is Reinformed

Not exactly a slow day, but a somewhat prosperous one, like every other day. Norman's Crystal Chest received the exact results in pay as expected.

Although, it was a quieter day than usual.

Chester, Warren and Rick did their work silently, occasionally giving quick glances at Norman. It was his and his ex-wife's anniversary. Not an ordinary thing to be celebrated, because it was not.

Norman's ex-wife's disappearance was documented fourteen years ago in Rlyll's newspapers, and has incidentally become a part of the town's history. There was not a soul in town that did not know of the scandal, and soon to be, conspiracy.

Chester boxed up a finished order of crystal figurines, taping it shut, giving another glance at Norman.

Norman reviewed a series of order forms, not noticing his concerned employees.

Half an hour of silence went by, Norman placing the order forms in a drawer, shutting it. "Okay, I have to head down to the Precinct."

Chester looked up. "Going to vi-"

Warren placed his arm in front of Chester, shaking his head. He turned to look at Norman. "We'll take care of things here."

Norman nodded at Warren. The men and Norman had an unspoken knowledge of his anniversary's tradition, for three years now.

He exited the shoppe, his employees resuming work in the same silence as before.

A thirty minute walk away, Rlyll's Precinct laid near a thick forest, the populous barren and nary a shoppe. All that laid nearby were a few houses, P.I. Langwaye's agency, and Leland's house. Assumed to be drenched with lanterns, of course.

Norman neared the entrance of the prison, the passing crows above releasing their cries. A sign, perhaps.

The nearby willow trees swung in the sweet breezes, as Norman stood in front of the Precinct's entrance, staring down the road. The thick forest was so dark, that it gave the illusion that it was thickening the longer he stared at it.

A cop came out of the entrance, turning Norman's head forward. "Mr. Stonelock. It's been a month, hasn't it?"

   "Indeed. I expect he's awaiting my arrival?"

The cop laughed.

   "Same as every month. I really wish you'd follow my suggestion, and visit him a day earlier just to shake him up."

   "Wilton? Shaken up? That's quite a dream....that I've often had," Norman chuckled in response.

   "You're not alone, Mr. Stonelock. Practically every officer here has that dream. He's as stone as always, so much that it'd make more sense for him to take your last name."

   "At least I'd know what to expect, although things are quite the same now."

Norman followed the officer to the counter, staring down at a clipboard. He signed his name on the sign-in sheet, placing the pen down.

   "This way, Mr. Stonelock."

He walked behind the officer down a long hallway, turning to an even longer corridor. The cop stopped in front of a room at the very end of the hallway.

"We got him a special cell, seeing as how melding in with the crowd is not his, forte."

"Trust me, no one would expect anything less from him in that area."

The officer opened the door, holding it open for Norman.

"Hope all goes well."

Norman walked through the door, the officer locking it.