Chapter 5: Is Revealed

1908. New Year's Eve.

Cries of enthusiasm filled the cold night air.

The white, cygnet plume chose the town of Rlyll.

The glorious, shining white feather descended towards hundreds of raised babies.

The light plume tapped the forehead of its' chosen Candidate.

A brilliance of white light and air blew over the townspeople.

Everyone became embraced by a sweet atmosphere. A peace that they couldn't begin to comprehend followed.

The baby, selected as the Swan Candidate, was set aglow with the most beautiful, white cloud aura. The townsfolk couldn't tear their eyes apart from the brilliance.

Amidst the cheers and rejoicing of the people, were more somber cries. The proud, yet sobbing cries of the baby's parents were almost drowned out, but some could still hear them.

"My sweet Tiara! Why! You've made us so proud! But I can't leave my baby!" A woman's voice cried out, as a man restrained her.

"Honey, we can't touch her for a week! But we will be able to soon," the man comforted with a bittersweet smile, presumed to be the husband.

"They said we can't see her! Ever!" The wife screamed to her husband, causing him to fall silent.

Moments later, he collapsed into a heap of sobs. His wife joined him as they fell on their knees, sobbing without ceasing.

Norman was there, watching the scene fall apart while the townsfolk did not even notice them.

He looked over at his ex-wife, Ilane, who was holding their own baby, Ilana, to the skies as well. As she lowered her baby, her new husband, Wilton, smacked her across the face with all the power he could muster. He said some things to her that the crowd drowned out with their cheers. Ilane looked shocked beyond belief.

Norman stormed over towards the two, but Ilane, who saw him approach, held out a hand to stop him.

Don't. He's dangerous.

She was right. He only arrived in Rlyll the year before, and already, he was the most dangerous man in town.

Norman felt furious, unable to lend a helping hand. The sound of hysteric screams distracted Norman, also grabbing a few townsfolks' attention. Some strangers pulled Tiara's parents from their baby, and the crowd itself.

Why. Why didn't Norman go to find out where the strangers took them?

"Mr. Stonelock!"

Chester's voice brought Norman back to his senses.

"If she's really going to be cashier, the '5' key has to be fixed again."

Norman sighed, always having to fix the faulty machine. "Just a second."

He reached into the drawer under the cash register, taking out a brand new name tag. Norman withdrew a pen, looking at the young girl. "What's your name?"

"...Tiara..." she responded.

He wrote Tiara's name down on her name tag, placing it on a dark red smock from a lower drawer. He handed the smock to her. "Put this over your head."

Tiara took the smock, placing it over her head. The smock fell over her light yellow dress, as she stared down at it.

"We're closed for the day. Why even give her the smock right now?" Warren said.

Norman sighed, his reasons always leading back to the topic of the Avian Candidacies. There was also the fact that he was not one to beat around the bush. The time was now.

He grabbed his keys.

"Alright," Norman began, walking towards the shoppe's doors. His employees' eyes followed his every move. He locked the doors, to their confusion. Norman headed towards the windows, pulling the blinds together and shutting them.

"Mr. Stonelock, y-you don't have to come drinking with us. We're sorry for coming b-back here!" Chester stammered, nervous.

"You guys are not in trouble," Norman clarified, facing everyone in the shoppe.

The entire shoppe was silent for a moment, Norman sighing. "Okay. Fourteen years ago. You boys were around eight to eleven years old, but, do you remember..." Norman stopped, sighing, as this was a strange subject to talk about now.

Tiara watched him from the counter, her eyes darting towards the men.

"Remember what, Mr. Stonelock?" Chester asked.

"It sounds serious. I felt the atmosphere tense up," Warren joked, but was also serious.

Norman looked at Rick, who was one of the largest skeptics he's ever met. He released another sigh, standing up straighter. "Do you boys remember, the Avian Candidacies?"

It was quiet for another moment, the silence in the shoppe radiating.

"Yeah, wasn't that a play, or something?" Chester broke the silence, asking.

"I thought it was a dream I had when I was sick," Warren joined in.

Rick's eyes hardened. He was not thrilled.

The atmosphere tensed up more, all eyes on him.

Rick looked over at Tiara, his eyes unchanged.

"So, this is the Swan Candidate."