Chapter 21

Grace

One...two...three...

"Okay, yeah, fuck this," I say to myself. "Whoever came up with counting sheep needs a wake up call." I have been going in and out of sleep for three straight hours. I gave up and now I'm just starring at the ceiling. I glance at the alarm clock on the nightstand. 4 a.m. I let out a sigh and pull myself up and get out of the bed. It's not like I'm getting any real sleep anytime soon.

I turn on the lamp and look around the floor for my underwear. When I finally find them and pick them up, I notice that they are beyond wearing at this point seeing as they were ripped in half. "Wow. He literally ripped them right off," I murmur. I toss them to where the dress lay and begin taking off all the sheets to the bed and piling everything up in a corner of the room. Maybe after I shower I'll go for a walk or something. Finally, when that's all done, I unhook my bra and toss it in the corner as well.

I walk to the bathroom, grab a wash cloth, and turn on the shower. I step inside feeling the hot water hit my skin as I run my head underneath the water. As I begin washing my body, I feel something run down my leg. "Oh, fuck," I tell myself. I look down and see the red liquid surrounding the drain before it goes down completely. "Well, that's just great." I finish my shower, get out, wrap the towel around me, and try to clench my lady parts so I don't go all Carrie on the floor. I put my wet hair up into a bun and open my bedroom door to try and go find some clothes that I could wear to go out and buy some tampons. Now I actually have a reason to go out.

I push the door open causing it to creek lightly. Stepping out onto the cold, hardwood floor I start walking downstairs to try and find a room hopefully containing some clothing. Adele said my clothes wouldn't come in until the morning so that rules out looking for boxes. I make it downstairs when the AC clicks on. "Seriously," I whisper. I was now shaking from the cold air blowing throughout the house.

Room after room I find nothing that I could put on. Eventually, I go back upstairs and hear a door knob start turning. I hide around the corner and peak my head out to see Lorenzo leaving his room. He starts walking my way, but turns and descends down the stairs and into the kitchen where I hear him opening the fridge. I run out from my hiding spot and book it for his room. Once inside, I head for the closet and start going through his clothes.

As I'm going through his closet, I keep listening just in case I hear him coming back up the steps. I grab an oversized black trench coat and a white dress shirt. I leave his bedroom just as he was walking back up the steps.

I make it back to my room and shut the door. I'm sure he won't mind lending me his clothes for a couple hours. I grab my bra from the pile and put it back on, then I slip on the white dress shirt. I go to the bathroom and go through the drawers until I find some manicure scissors. I grab the ripped dress and cut it in half so now, with the help of some bobby-pins, I turned the bottom half into a skirt. However, I am going commando with some toilet paper in the form of a tampon just until I get to a store. I put on the black trench coat, button it up, then slip on my heels from earlier.

"Here I go."
~~~
After making it out of the house, and let me tell you it was not easy getting out through my window and jumping the fence, I started walking into the small town we came through in hopes of finding something that was open at this time.

The sky was still dark outside and there was a chill in the air. The wind blew across my face sending a slight chill through my body but the coat kept me warm. After passing dark and closed stores, I came to an open grocer that had their lights on.

I walk in and call out for anyone who might be able to help me, but no one calls back. I look to my right and see a shelf lined with tampons. Thank you, Jesus. I grab a box, and since there was no one at the register, I just left a bill on the counter. I went to the bathroom in the back of the grocer and took all the tampons out of the box and put all but one of them in the trench coat. "Maybe I'll leave one in there for Lorenzo when I get back," I laugh at myself.