HONESTY

[ Charleigh ]

I sat in the car for over thirty minutes waiting for Anaya's flight to arrive. I tried to keep my mind off the events that had transpired a few days before. My mind has ubeen all over the place. I'm confused. I'm angry. I'm hurt. Why can't people just be honest? Is that too much to ask. The truth might hurt but the truth will never change so it's better to just be blunt and say it. What ever it is....

I had been going from work to home not wanting to be bothered with anyone or anything. I needed time alone to process all the new information. While other people cam adjust to new things right away; I can't. It gave me the worst anxiety. I had resorted back to being reclusive. I ate through everything in my refrigerator and pantry, binged watched a lot of Netflix shows and wore all my 'bum' approved wardrobe. That wardrobe consists of sweatshirts, sweatpants, period panties and old worn out oversized T-shirts. It was like going through a divorce or a break up all over again.

Once Anaya called me to say that she was going to be in town for the weekend; I welcomed the idea. Hell, I even extended an olive branch for her to stay with me. My spirit was lifted. I restocked the pantry and refrigerator, cleaned up my apartment and cleaned myself up.

"Hey girl heyyy!!", Anayah sang, struggling with three suitcases. The girl could never travels without more than one suitcase. She needs outfits that she thought were cute, outfits that she thought would be better if she had a second opinion to back up the thought and outfits for in case she got her period or was bloated. The girl has issues.

"Hey sis heyy!!", I screamed, elated to see my best friend. We shared a hug.

"Are you okay?", Anayah questioned, stepping back to examine me. "we'll have a girl's night in tonight".

We loaded the bags into the car and I pulled away. We talked all the way to my side of town. Anayah filled me in on everything that had changed in L.A. and everyone who was apart of our small circle. Our friends back in L.A. are some pretty successful black couples. They held positions of power in many fields and had the financial security that meant they could go on five to six vacations per year. Big spenders.

"I bet I was the topic of discussion at dinners  or events", I mumbled, keeping my eyes on the road ahead.

"I'd be lying if I said no", Anayah said truthfully. "But motherfuckers have shit to say about everyone... even my country bumpkin head ass".

We fell out laughing.

"You right tho", I agreed.

"You ain't asked about Jayda..",Anayah trailed off, examining her nude colored coffin nails.

"What color is that?", I asked. I needed something to talk about...anything but this. Anything but talking about her who shall not be uttered. Anayah rolled her eyes.

"Don't change the subject... its pure porcelain",Anayah drawled out, poking her lips out.

"Hmm nice.I need mine done", I ignored, tightening the grip on the steering wheel. I looked at my own nails with the color ,Fed up by Essie , on them.

I pulled into the parking lot, cutting the engine off. I unbuckled my seatbelt, hopped out of the car, sliding my purse over my shoulder. Anayah got out slamming the car door behind her.

"Bitch you gon buy me a new fucking car if you break my shit!", I snapped making her laugh.

"I'm doing you a favor hoe.. you need to upgrade ya whip!",she cackled, reaching for one of her bags while I grabbed the other.

We got all the bags out and made our way to the elevator.

"Why you always gotta carry a-lot of baggage", I whined.