ACCEPTANCE

[ Charleigh ]

"I'm advising you to hold off on buying this 2.3 million mansion", I told my client.

The short, chubby Caucasian man sat in the chair adjacent mine looking hurt. He crossed his legs, rotating his ankles as he considered my proposal. The man was a multi millionaire according to wikipedia but according to his bank account that was a lie. He spent frivolously, buying things that he didn't need. Just last week he purchased a comic book collection. He already has a collection of a few series like the Batman Series and the Justice League Series. I'd rather see him invest in a business to bring in revenue. He owed the IRS a quarter million dollars in back taxes. He was in dire need to get his finances in order.

"So what are you saying?", he inquired.

"I'm saying it is not wise for you to buy that mansion right now. We need to work on paying off those taxes and other bills you owe first", I explained slower so that he could catch my drift.

"Am I broke?", he said concerned, with furrowed brows, leaning forward in his seat.

"You should use a broke person's mentality of only buying what you need versus what you want until we sort out your finances", I stated, pursing my lips.

"How do I do that?", he questioned.

"Budgeting", I smiled.

"That sounds so boring", he yawned, checking his expensive watch.

"It is fun once you realize that you're saving money", I said, closing his file. "Well that's all the time we have for today".

"Thank you Ms Gaines... it's been an absolute pleasure",Peter said, shaking my hand.

I watched as he hurried out of my office, disappearing behind the green doors. I grabbed my purse, getting ready to leave when Mr Marshellack came in.

"Ms Gaines", he drawled with his thick country accent. Mr. Marshellack was a country boy from Houston who enjoyed the bachelor lifestyle. He had long salt and pepper hair and a neatly trimmed goatee.

"Yes sir", I said, looking up from the floor. I was about to switch into my slides so that I could make the journey to the parking lot.

"I'd like to invite you and your significant other to dinner with the partners tonight", he announced, adjusting the maroon colored tie.

"Oh?", I mumbled, thinking of my own plans for the night. I was gonna take a long bath, put on a face mask, eat some pizza and watch Netflix until Quad got home. I'm a home body. I was having an anxiety attack just thinking about the invitation. "Sure... we'll be there".

"Great", he said flashing me a thumbs up. "We'll send the details to your secretary".

"Sounds good", I called behind him.

•••

"So what's the problem?", Quad inquired calmly over the phone. I had been ranting and raving since I got home about the last minute invitation. Being an introvert; I just could not bring myself to calm down. I need at least a week to wrap my mind around going out. I need a month if it entails going to an event where the spotlight will be on me. It is nerve wrecking.